Ok Folks Stupid Question Time

Snakeyes

Found a web site 80% off prices. out of stock on the 5/6 reels. 5/6 fly rods still in stock and also 7-12 wt. Can i put a 3/4 wt reel on a 5/6 or no????? will be fishing for bass and pan fish plus small trout with the set up. Any and all help thanks. I am new to fly fishing and have no real idea what to get. Thanks again.

jeff

You may have issues with balancing the rod, and you'll not have much room for backing with a heavier line on a reel meant for a lighter line. If you put a lighter line on, you'll have issues casting.

I'd hold out for an appropriate reel myself. Alternatively, you might decide to go with a lighter rod as well.

3/4 for panfish, small trout and bass will be fine. You won't have much luck casting bulky flies, but you'll get a better experience fighting small fish with the lighter combo.

I hooked a bass a couple years ago with my 10 weight that I didn't even know was there til I tried to make a cast. The fly was almost as big as the fish!

I fish a 6 wt for bass... helps cast a bigger, bulkier and heavier flies....

still bends nice even with smaller fish and any smallie over 3 lbs has it keeled over :)

and if there is a chance that your gonna fish pike too.... Id go with a 7 wt. just to throw the flies....

Guest chasechrome

I fish a 6 wt for bass... helps cast a bigger, bulkier and heavier flies....

still bends nice even with smaller fish and any smallie over 3 lbs has it keeled over :)

and if there is a chance that your gonna fish pike too.... Id go with a 7 wt. just to throw the flies....

6 wt and over weight with a 7 wt line for those big bugs... B)

cc

really? Im using a rocket taper line already and sometimes I feel that the rod a over loaded (not enough backbone)

but I will certainly give it a try when throwin big pike flies....

for bass I often fish them in current .... I normally just dead drift nymphs and do well... but ofcourse I spend time stripping streamers too!

I was very suprised at how many massive small mouth I caught on tiny flies.... size 16 - 22 :)

I was reading a trout book that talked about the 20/20 challenge, catch a 20 inch plus trout on a size 20 or smaller fly, while I have not completed it with a trout yet, small mouth bass is crossed off my 20/20 list :)

and not to hijack this thread but Im very suprised at the feeding patterns of some northern smallmouth that are resident river fish... I have found some of them too feed like trout would using feeding lanes and holding in the current rather than swimming around, if you ever get the chance to fish a small creek for bass and you stumble upon big momma, tie on a mouse pattern and drift it overtop creating a wake with the fly and hold on :)

This is my favorite area to fish for river smallies!

PA242152_zps14dd0e78.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived