Blair's 2012 Fishing Season In Review

blairwelsh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZA36YIu2yU

This year was GREAT! ... had some wonderful opportunities on the water and Off.

I am especially proud to have become a dedicated Member of the Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors.

http://torontourbanfishing.com/

*Fighting for Urban Fishing Access in the GTA

*Participating in Kid’s Day Fishing Events

*Completing Shore Clean Ups

Some of my CATCH HIGHLIGHT(S) include:

1. Best season for Bowfin

2. Best season for Carp

3. Best season for Harbour front Pike

4. Best NIGHT STEELHEAD season

What I am hoping to achieve in 2013:

1. Channel Cats

2. Muskie

3. Walleye

4. Catch an Atlantic Salmon that is bigger than a par! (Credit or Duffins)

My DREAM GOALS:

1. Increase the awareness and programs with TUFA

2. Generate Sponsorship for my Own Urban Fishing Show

I enjoy the challenge of ALL SPECIES and respect the unique nuances and techniques required.

I will continue to promote CATCH & RELEASE within our pressured systems.

Being Courteous, following the Rules, picking up the garbage ... mainstays of decorum.

I love fishing. It is my favourite pastime.

The Tug is the Drug of my life!

ENJOY:

Nice multi species video Blair......wish I could even fish half of what you do. Well done....

Nice video Blair, thanks for sharing.

Love the bright green on those Bowfins, I caught a few in my time, but only one was green, it was just a little guy and the entire fish was bright green, we originally thought it was just because we caught it in the Welland River lol but I later found out that they turn colour when spawning.

I've never seen a catfish so black before, where did you catch that guy? (3:25 mark of video)

Hey Guys... Thx

Had a Good Season due to the fact that I had my WORST SEASON of EMPLOYMENT! :wall:

Ying & Yang of the universe ... is working fine . :crazy:

Chef: Just trying to TEACH the FISH what a Hook is and give them a look at me.

Then when they run into your mug, they wont be so terrified. Doing my part ....

Frank: The Bright green Bowfins are the MALES! they stick around and guard the babies for up to 3 months after birth. Didnt relise that ealier in the spring, and even though I would Catch & Release .... stopped even trying for the "males" once I found out that fact. The females basically stay a dark brown (like a catfish) with white belly. Some of the males can get real NEON GREEN. The have a jaw that can separate as well. Really amazing fish. No protection or season on these fish (SHAME) their NATIVE natural wonders!

Male Bowfin:

BowFinandBlairFrontView.jpg

FullViewofBOWFIN.jpg

BlairtheGreenFinBOWFIN.jpg

Female Bowfin:

BowfinIntheGrass.jpg

BabY

BABYBOWFIN.jpg

As for the Catfish: That one was caught on Centre Island. The most MUTATED FREAK i have ever seen! Looks like it had

been in an oil spill ... nuclear explosion ... and suffered Gamma radiation. It was real healthy ... but just a total ugly freak. Heres some more shots of it:

UglyBULLCAtfISH.jpgBlackBullCatFish.jpgALIENCATFISH.jpg

i got in the habit of downloading everything and then putting on Facebook, photobucket - a picture push.

I dont text, or really doing anything much in the virtual world other than this fishing stuff

lol

Not a phone, but had a computer get all virus/bugged out a couple years ago (before storing or publishing online in clouds) and lost an awefull lot of great pics. The memories are always there .... but nice to have the pics as well.

Now... absolute habit. Soon as I get home from fishing, after cleaning the equipment ... first thing I do!

Number 4 on your list:

"4. Catch an Atlantic Salmon that is bigger than a par! (Credit or Duffins)"

I'd be surprised if you get one in a river. Seems once Lake O Atlantics smolt, they head for the big water and stay there. Probably because they've already imprinted their home river (the LeHave in most cases) by the time they're stocked up here as fingerlings or parr. Too bad, really, cause an Atlantic on a fly is a rush!

Good luck with it though! I'll be rooting for ya!

Here's some fly-rod Atlantics to get your juices flowing!

335_32007020263_5370_n.jpg

30900_397048825263_2824245_n.jpg

61700_431927290263_8037182_n.jpg

Coach.... Those beauties from Down east? (the real mckoy... lol)

Here in the Lake O tribs, the only pic I have EVER seen ... was one of Italo down in NY

atlantic.jpg

I support(ed) the program, but just have'nt seen any results in the past 10 years.

* I fish Credit & Duffs quite a bit as well.

________

LOVE to head down east and try some on the Fly!

Would be an experience of a lifetime.

Thanks for the great pics

Coach.... Those beauties from Down east? (the real mckoy... lol)

Here in the Lake O tribs, the only pic I have EVER seen ... was one of Italo down in NY

I support(ed) the program, but just have'nt seen any results in the past 10 years.

* I fish Credit & Duffs quite a bit as well.

________

LOVE to head down east and try some on the Fly!

Would be an experience of a lifetime.

Thanks for the great pics

Well if you ever get down to Nova Scotia, let me know and I'll get you introduced to someone (probably my brother) to show you the ropes and get you into some fish. Unlike New Brunswick and Newfoundland, Nova Scotia regulations don't require non-residents to have a guide, but it helps!

You'll want to tie up some traditional hairwing patterns before you go such as the Polar Shrimp, Undertaker, Black Ghost, Black Bear Green Butt and of course bombers in various colours.

Wonderful offer!

I would be like a Bright Eyed Kid in a Candy store.

________

Last time I was down east (Canada) was almost 20 years ago.

Spent about 10 days in Halifax visiting with friends.

It was Jan, so ... unfortunately - no fishing.

My buddy ran a night club and the "priorities at the time" were consisted of:

Drinking and chasing Skirts. (different kind of fishing ... lol)

I currently spend some time on the water with a great guy from the Baddeck area.

Grew up with friends from: Glace Bay, New Waterford ...

The hospitality - second to none!

SOME DAY!

Interesting to note the differences in colour. The salmon in Italo's shot is probably spent (they will darken after spawning), but most of the difference is environment. The shots I posted are of salmon just in from the salt water and ready to spawn, while Italo's grew up in fresh water. Beautiful fish all the same!

Archived