Spey Or Switch....that Is The Question

DaveC

Ran into a nice young guy fishing the credit river yesterday. Started chatting with the guy about what type of rod he was using? He mentioned it was a switch rod. I asked him whats the difference with that and the spey. He did some explaining and said the switch can be fished two handed or single handed. I asked him a million and one questions...lol. Just that Im so interested in it. His rod was really cool....the back end butt section was telescopic and could be moved in about 4" or moved out for two handed casting...awesome. He showed me his three boxes of flys, and I was impressed with his tying skills...really nice flys. We talked for ever...while I held him up from fishing....great weather, and fish was only a bonus. Just being outside was fantastic. Fish bite was slow...lasted from about 7:00 -8:00 saw two fishe hooked by others, and it died to nothing. Anyway, I asked the young guy if he would mind if I gave his rod a try....he said sure. I proceeded into the water and took his instruction. Awesome, is all I can say....it would take some practice, but I have the basic idea and managed a few good casts. Now Im debating between the switch and the spey. His switch was 11ft 6. and he could really get it out there no problem. We talked line, leaders you name it...So now Im undecided on whats next. I had my mind set on building a spey rod....now Im thinking the switch might be the better option at least to start with. Tough decisions.....

Essentially a switch rod is a rod that, as you noted can be used one or two-handed. The spey casting techniques are essentially the same (a few minor differences) regardless of which rod you choose. I like the two-hander myself as I find it less fatiguing. Remember that you're swinging a lot of rod, and spey lines tend to be heavier as well. With a switch rod, you'll probably find yourself using the two hand approach more than the one handed.

You can use spey techniques in still water, by the way, and I find that a two-handed rod is better suited for that purpose as well. Of course, this is my opinion based on my experience. Others may think differently.

If you want to try a two-hander and you're ever in the Hamilton area, send me a message and I'll let you try mine out.

Switch rods are a good all around rod that is good at nymphing and good at swinging a fly as well. You can still bomb a 90-100ft cast with a switch rod with lots of practice. It all comes down to if you are planning to mostly swing a fly or have a multi purpose setup. I myself will fish a full spey any day over the switch because almost 100% of the time I fish a swung fly now. I just can't seem to put on an indicator to fish yarn etc. anymore. Once you feel the first big tug on the swing, that will be it....:)...just saying.

Switch rods are a good all around rod that is good at nymphing and good at swinging a fly as well. You can still bomb a 90-100ft cast with a switch rod with lots of practice. It all comes down to if you are planning to mostly swing a fly or have a multi purpose setup. I myself will fish a full spey any day over the switch because almost 100% of the time I fish a swung fly now. I just can't seem to put on an indicator to fish yarn etc. anymore. Once you feel the first big tug on the swing, that will be it....:)...just saying.

Yeh....that and the fact I already have a spey blank. What im thinking is the blank i have is 14ft and it might be a little long for the tribs i fish. Would be great for the Niagara and Saugeen....not so good on tbe Erie tribs and smaller flows. What to you think for reel? Click and pual or a drag system? I was looking at a used st croix imperial switch rod as well. I plan to drop into trout fitters in Fergus and weigh out my options.I could always sell my bllank.Just dont want to go to deep before i find out what i like better. I did feel comfortable with tbe switch....but i have not tried the spey yet....so that could change. I agree that your mostly using two hands witb tbe switch anyway. Im not going to jump in until i can decide first. What to look for in a decent reel? I only want to buy once....been down that road before.

I have not really set a budget Craiger...just been looking around hoping to find the ultimate deal. Having said that....I really dont know what Im looking for, and what really is important with the reel. I would guess its ability to hold the line weight is one....Im also a right hand retrieve and right hand cast....figure that one out...lol. I would hold the bottom of a spey with left hand and right hand on top. The reel needs to be on the right hand retrieve. Is that the way most people are? or am I donkey...lol.

Hey guys, So I bought another rod to add to my collection....lol. You can never have enough right? I picked up what I thought was a good deal. Its a St.Croix imperial switch rod 8 weight 11ft rod. I figure its a start for me. I still have the 14ft blank I can turn into a spey. I wanted to start out with a smaller rod for the tribs I fish the most. Anyway....so now I have questions...lol. What would be a good reel with drag system to match with this rod? and what type of line should I be using with it? Oh man.....how do I get so deep in this all the time....lol its worse than drugs...lol. Give me some ideas guys...

Right on...that rod is a good starter one for sure. You will want to get a reel in the 7-9oz in weight to balance it out well. There are so many good reels out there so it will be up to you on what suits your taste and budget.

craig

My spey rod is an Imperial model 14010 (not made anymore), 14 foot 10 weight. Its matched up with a Pflueger Trion 1910 (also not made anymore, the 1990 replaces it). I find it all balances out nicely, and I have a reel that can handle most situations. They sell for around $130.00.

Hey Craiger / Coachman.....if you guys come across any drag type reels that would suit my 8 weight imperial could you let me know? Thanks guys....Then next I will be bugging you for what type of backing, lines, leaders etc....thanks, I really appreciate your advice. Once I get setup, maybe I could join you for an outting and learn a bit...Thanks.

Thanks coachman....sent the guy an email about the Orvis...hope its still available

So I bought the Orvis Battenkill, just have to pick it up Thursday.....I will probably test it out in the spring in NY waters for some drop backs on the feed.

Archived