Fair Weather Carping

hammercarp

For January the weather on the weekend was certainly fair. More than fair I guess. So I took a little trip out to the Niagara region. I only went for the afternoon yesterday but I was rewarded with a couple of golden tanks. They really don't put up the fight that they are capable of when the water is warm but but I am a carp angler so I still enjoy catching them.

Here is my set up. I used puffed corn on the hook with grits pack bait.

HPIM1613800x596_zps30e90488.jpg

The first fish was 20+.

HPIM1611800x596_zps2d601f5a.jpg

The second was probably 12-14.

HPIM1612800x596_zpsaabbd197.jpg

It took an hour or so for things to get going but all in all it was a lovely afternoon .

Very nice fish! I have found that carp really enjoy fighting in oxygenated water, the place I fish for them they fight good all year round even when the temperatures drop. But there is a constant flow of water and 300 feet before my honey hole there is a decent sized waterfall.

Nice looking fish Lorne , very healthy chunky carp . Carp have been seen by the guys using cameras at Rennie Park ,but seldom caught since minnows are the prime bait used there . I think a carp day out there may prove successful if baited properly . It would be easy to chum a small area through the ice and I'm sure you know what rig to use when fishing them through the ice .

Nice looking fish Lorne , very healthy chunky carp . Carp have been seen by the guys using cameras at Rennie Park ,but seldom caught since minnows are the prime bait used there . I think a carp day out there may prove successful if baited properly . It would be easy to chum a small area through the ice and I'm sure you know what rig to use when fishing them through the ice .

I have been thinking about carp through the ice at Rennie Park for quite some time. It fits two criteria for carpin through the ice. It gets good sun through out the day and it has weeds that stay green as well as being out of the current. . Actually I did try it once a few years back.

Tworods001Medium.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize you had already tried Rennie through the ice & I see you still use the long rod set up as from fishing from shore .I have a few short ice fishing rods designed for catching larger fish like the 10-15lb walleye & big cats at Quinte . I'm sure they would work for carp after drbob iced his with a very light set up through the ice . Warmer days ahead Lorne & I can see a nice sunny day of carping at Martindale ahead . That spot you fished should be good for carp ....8-10 fow there ......but maybe the back bay may be better with 4 -7 fow with more weeds .

edit 2/23/13.......

I found 2 short rods which are heavier than my perch rods .....used for walleye/cat fishing . I would like to try a day on the ice for carp soon , but haven't decided what spot would be my best chance to hook a carp or two . Martindale pond has two basic ponds to fish , both with carp . The back end is shallow , from 4-8' mostly with heavy & light weed beds & some weedless spots near the shorelines . The north pond (Rennie ) is deeper , from 9-12' with heavy to light weed structure ....& usually clearer visibility . I'm leaning towards fishing the deeper water & chumming the holes with something to draw them in the cold water . I also think one must give the carp more time while ice fishing since the noise from augering a hole can spook them . This is a completely new thing for me , so chum bait ideas & hook /bait set up rigs would be welcome . I have an old can of sardines I could chop up & mix with grits ......

I didn't realize you had already tried Rennie through the ice & I see you still use the long rod set up as from fishing from shore .I have a few short ice fishing rods designed for catching larger fish like the 10-15lb walleye & big cats at Quinte . I'm sure they would work for carp after drbob iced his with a very light set up through the ice . Warmer days ahead Lorne & I can see a nice sunny day of carping at Martindale ahead . That spot you fished should be good for carp ....8-10 fow there ......but maybe the back bay may be better with 4 -7 fow with more weeds .

edit 2/23/13.......

I found 2 short rods which are heavier than my perch rods .....used for walleye/cat fishing . I would like to try a day on the ice for carp soon , but haven't decided what spot would be my best chance to hook a carp or two . Martindale pond has two basic ponds to fish , both with carp . The back end is shallow , from 4-8' mostly with heavy & light weed beds & some weedless spots near the shorelines . The north pond (Rennie ) is deeper , from 9-12' with heavy to light weed structure ....& usually clearer visibility . I'm leaning towards fishing the deeper water & chumming the holes with something to draw them in the cold water . I also think one must give the carp more time while ice fishing since the noise from augering a hole can spook them . This is a completely new thing for me , so chum bait ideas & hook /bait set up rigs would be welcome . I have an old can of sardines I could chop up & mix with grits ......

I have a Batch of spicy tuna boilies I just whipped up with fish meal chum in it as well Ive been dying to try this winter ....this sound like the perfect Time and place to use them....PM me If you want to hook up one day and Ice fish some carp In martindALE CHEERS

Chris

Archived