Recommendations For Good(Affordable) Ice Fishing

BrendanMitchell

lots of walleye being caught on nipp. but most are 10 inches long. my friends live there and have huts. you can pick through the small ones to get your 2. quinte is the place now while the ice is good. sunset cabins in northport. 45 bucks a night for cabin and 45 for the hut with minnows. huts are in a great area off big island. actualy going there this weekend.

Sorry guys but i dont agree....l have limited out every time i have gone there nipissing. Dont know where you vuys have been shacked....summer time i also spent a week there....same thing limited out every day. The place im going family day long weekend. Tell me if you can beat this. Friday night, Sat night, Sunday night in a nice cottage sat tv, water that actually works for a nice hot shower. 4 man heated huts for 4 days fri sat sun mon. Minnows provided daily trasnport back a nd forth anytime all day long in a heated ranger. $360.00 plus tax for me and the wife.....and last time there the owners even gave my wife snowmobile rides and a full bottle of wine to have with our dinner.Fishing at nip has improved big time....lots of big eyes being caught daily.i got 0 perch.....95 percent eyes....all on 120 acres of prime land at the islands going into callander bay loaded with free roaming deer everywhere. Having said this...i have seen the 2013 regs reduced limit from 4 to 2. I enjoy the experiance and the fish is just a bonus....as with any fishing to me. If fish is all i wanted...i wasted tonns of money on gear...should have just went to the fish market.

I'm paying 195 ea for two people two nights three days fishing with cottage food and heated hits on nippising

Thats a great deal... take it! I have always done well on Nipissing.

have fun and take alot of pictures to make up your report

lots of walleye being caught on nipp. but most are 10 inches long. my friends live there and have huts. you can pick through the small ones to get your 2. quinte is the place now while the ice is good. sunset cabins in northport. 45 bucks a night for cabin and 45 for the hut with minnows. huts are in a great area off big island. actualy going there this weekend.

you forgot to mention... your price is per person.....

Dave C is right on the money. I've been to nip twice this year already and have limited out everyday on perfect eaters just under the slot. Also many in and over the slot to have fun with and release. Catch 15 plus walleye to every perch when the bite is on. It's also a much better atmosphere if that counts for anything, I know I would much rather fish an area with no major road access or city of huts.

WOW...I'd like to know where you can find a better ice fishing lake then Nip, It's by far the best bang for your dollar then any place in Ontario. Lots of Walleye's, Perch, Pike always get a couple whities and you can beat the taste of Nippissing walleye and perch, I understand everyone is upset with lower limits but 2 15" walleye are perfect for a meal and the perch taste fantastic way better then that crap outa Simcoe. Also if you have ever ice fished Nip you may understand why a lower limit is a good thing, the Lake gets a ton of pressure with an easy 1500 fishers out there every weekend in the winter. Everybody complains about spending $$$$$ and not being able to bring a 4 fish limit home, all I got to say is most high end Fly-in resorts do not allow customers to take fish out anymore, eat all you want while there , but leave with what you came with minus the liquor hehehe. As for the Bay of Quinte, it's not an easy nut to crack, sure there are trophies out there but unless you are mobile and know whats going on they arn't easy to get, it can be a real fickle fishery. On Nip there is always somthing willing to bite.You should have great weekend even if the fishing is slow, it's a treat just to be out on the lake, Nippissing still is and always will be a special place, I can assure your trip will probably start a annual ice fishing trip.

The Dude knows what hes talking about.....my favourite place to fish and good times always.

Yes Nippissing is pretty decent so far this year (but it is early)not just for Eyes but multi species such as pike,perch,the odd whitey,and ling(poor mans lobster)..oh yah and your share of mudpuppies..lol,now remember don't kill these they are protected and are vital to the ecosystem ,now if you are going for eyes you might catch lots but with a 2 fish 15" limit its an expensive trip. DaveC mentions that fishing has improved on Nippissing, i beg to differ,there is no way that in the past couple of seasons that a lake that size that has sustained that much pressure from recreational and mostly native overfishing can rebound its just not possible. They said the same thing about Quinte,yes they had some decent years and eased up on the sanctions but overall the last 2 seasons have been slow by accounts and i think our global situation has alot to do with it. ..IMHO.

Now I'm not knocking a trip to NIP, You should experience it. ..It will be fun ,you will have a good time,you might get a great deal and you most likely will get fish...but dont expect it all the time...its just the right conditions..so far.

Quint is hit or miss, if its your first time go with a seasoned vet or..guide it...simple. If you want perch..we don't call Cooks bay "dink" bay for nothing,but it keeps the kiddies happy...lol go a little further up towards Beaverton deffinately a bigger class of perch, not as many but bigger overall and you'll have a fun day. Its still being classed as first ice so fishing should be good. I just went yesterday for lakers and whiteys and our group of six all had multiple fish days!

Good luck Brendan,looking forward to the pics!

Yes Nippissing is pretty decent so far this year (but it is early)not just for Eyes but multi species such as pike,perch,the odd whitey,and ling(poor mans lobster)..oh yah and your share of mudpuppies..lol,now remember don't kill these they are protected and are vital to the ecosystem ,now if you are going for eyes you might catch lots but with a 2 fish 15" limit its an expensive trip. DaveC mentions that fishing has improved on Nippissing, i beg to differ,there is no way that in the past couple of seasons that a lake that size that has sustained that much pressure from recreational and mostly native overfishing can rebound its just not possible. They said the same thing about Quinte,yes they had some decent years and eased up on the sanctions but overall the last 2 seasons have been slow by accounts and i think our global situation has alot to do with it. ..IMHO.

Now I'm not knocking a trip to NIP, You should experience it. ..It will be fun ,you will have a good time,you might get a great deal and you most likely will get fish...but dont expect it all the time...its just the right conditions..so far.

Quint is hit or miss, if its your first time go with a seasoned vet or..guide it...simple. If you want perch..we don't call Cooks bay "dink" bay for nothing,but it keeps the kiddies happy...lol go a little further up towards Beaverton deffinately a bigger class of perch, not as many but bigger overall and you'll have a fun day. Its still being classed as first ice so fishing should be good. I just went yesterday for lakers and whiteys and our group of six all had multiple fish days!

I dont disagree with you....and Im sure the limit reductions have been put in place for a reason. To me the fishing has been fantastic...both ice and summer. No problem to catch a 4 fish limit per person. My 8 year old was able to catch fish with just her rod dangling over the edge of the boat with little effort. and we could do that every evening in less than 2 hours on the water. There is lots of fish in and over the slot size as well....In my opinion, fishing has been no problem and catch ratios are up, but Im sure you are correct in stating that we should not expect this all the time. There has been promising reports again so far this season...so it hard to wonder how they judge and get the stats. In any case...conservation is very important. I have no problem respecting a 2 fish limit like I said....2 for me, 2 for the wife....no problem. anything else perch, pike, or ling is a bonus. Never ever caught a ling that would be nice...

I don't know if you are going up to have just a good time or to bring meat to the table. When i go ice fishing alot of the fish end up back down the hole. But i did go to lake nippissing have been going up for numerous years . I have found that this year was probably one of my better years . Lot`s of jumbo perch ,pike and walleye. Yes i did get alot of 8-10 inchers but we did get some decent fish in the mix. Actually in one hour caught and released over thirty walleye.

But going back to your question lots of good places between Lake Simcoe and Nippissing. the outfitter we go out with is Garnett from South Shore Ice Condos highly recommended. Do some research anyplace you choose can be a good trip it`s all what you make of it. I always say if you have good company and good food in a trip you will remember a good trip . The fishing is always a close second.

WOW again, this post is full of so much HOGWASH it's tough to read, " mostly native overfishing" where have you been, the natives have regulated there fishery with rules and they in fact police and maintain there regulations.The fact is the supreme court of Canada has given them the right to the fish and sportfishing will be extinct on Nip long before the nets are gone, so there is absolutely no point in bringing up Native rights.The lake can't rebound, then answer me why there are so many Walleye, for a lake not rebounding it is a decent fishery,were they catching 100 walleye a day in 80's , I think not, at least I wasn't, the fishing is just as good today. As for cost it's the same cost to kill 2 walleye as 4, if you base your fishing experience on the amount of death you can inflict on the population then perhaps Nippissing is not the destination for you.The lake will go through it's lean years and will have bonus years like it has for the past 100yrs, like all fisheries do.I apllaud the 2-walleye limit, it will help keep the meat hungry death fishers off the lake, by the way there still catchin good even through the -30c cold front.

Archived