Tips For Lake Joe Lakers

niagarangler89

My buddy (fishon) and I are planning a trip to Lake Joseph after opener to try for some big greasers.

Still new to the whole hard water game, so any tips/techniques you guys and gals can provide for this body of water would be much appreciated.

We already know where we'll be fishing, so don't worry, we're not asking for spots.

I've done a fair bit of reading up on fishing for lakers through the ice, but it sounds like the fish behave in certain ways depending on the body of water you're fishing...for example...the general theme for Simcoe lakers seems to be 90-120 FOW, either jigging on bottom or 10-15' off bottom, and trying to get them to chase. Is this the same idea on Joe?

I've read that some of the bigger lakers from Joe have been taken much shallower than 90-120FOW (and not off bottom). Whereas a lot of the smaller lakers can be taken in the deeper waters, closer to bottom.

We're going to start off by fishing the bottom of a hole we know about, and slowly make our way up the ledge to a flat in roughly 35-40 FOW.

We have the bare necessities, including a cheap FF which we'll be modifying for the hard water. Also planning on stocking up on white tube jigs, pearl swammers, jigging spoons, lipless rattling cranks, jigheads and hopefully some live minnows (if we can find a place on the way up the day before).

Plan is to place a couple tip-ups with minnows and use our other line to jig the lures/artificials

Like I mentioned, we're still entirely new to this style of angling, so if you have any tips that might save us some time (and frustration lol) we'd love to hear them!

Thanks and tight lines,

-na

i was there last opener and came out empty....and may be there again(friends cottage at dudley bay)

btw there is a bait and tackle just south of lake Joe on hwy 169 in Glen Orchard.....last year ya got a complimentary case of beer when signing up for the derby

I have found the larger fish hitting in the 60-70ft range on a dropoff.A yellow fuzzy grub works well & a tipup with a large sucker about 2 feet off bottom has produced 15-20 pound hog's for me.The last 3 years has been really hard for the trophys in my areas.Time to scout some more spot's.If you are up there you can visit coldwater(hurontario bait) Hwy 12 right off 400/69.

Thanks so much guys! Exactly the feedback I was hoping for!

Any chance any one has been up that way (cottaging or whatever) and can report on recent ice conditions? Our trip is all dependent on good ice. We're both new to the hard water, so we don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Just hoping to get a general idea of what we might expect in a couple of weeks.

Would the local bait/tackle shops mentioned above have that info? If so, I'll try calling them as the date gets closer.

If we get there and it turns out the ice is sketchy, we'll just head down to Simcoe/Kbay because it's much easier to find up-to-date reports for that area.

Again, thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate it.

Hey N/A and Fishon, try giving these guys a call theyre inbetween 400 hwy and lake joe, just east of lake stewart!!

transparent.png

Mactier Bait Tackle & Moretransparent.png
583 High, MacTier, ON P0C 1H0
(705) 375-2248 transparent.png

Will do! Thanks Mick!

Archived