Coywolf (Cbc - Nature Of Things)

blairwelsh

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/meet-the-coywolf.html

About the Episode

A new carnivore has slipped unnoticed into cities across the Eastern seaboard from Toronto to Montreal to Boston and even New York. A versatile, new top predator that feasts on everything from rabbits to deer to moose. Scientists say it is one of the most adaptable mammals on the planet but what surprises them most is how this remarkable creature manages to live right alongside us but just out of view. We share our parks, our streets even our backyards with these wild animals, that both fascinate and baffle scientists, but few of us have ever seen a coywolf.

1.jpg
What do you do if you encounter a coywolf? Read our tips

Part wolf, part coyote this new hybrid species is the subject of a startlingly beautiful new film called Meet the Coywolf. A documentary that will both shock and amaze you.

Coywolves emerged from a thin strip of land at the southern end of Algonquin Park less than a hundred years ago. Their arrival on the scene marks a rare event, the creation of a brand new hybrid species. A formidable wild animal that has spread across North America at an unprecedented pace, returning a new top predator to territories once roamed by wolves. Zoologist Roland Kays of the New York State Museum has been tracking these new creatures and describes them as having “a coyote like skull with wolf like teeth”.

Geneticist Bradley White from Trent University in Ontario was at the forefront of the discovery of this new species and says: “I am upset that I’m at the end of my career rather than the beginning, because I think this story, the exciting part of this story, is yet to come.”

2.jpg
How did director Susan Fleming get footage of the elusive coywolf? Read her story.

Two years in the making, this visually and information rich nature film uncovers the story of the coywolf in remarkable detail. Using state-of-the-art high definition, infrared cameras that turn pitch dark into daylight, we tag along with scientists as they track one of the world’s most intelligent and shapeshifting animals from the pristine wilderness of Algonquin Park, through golf courses, alleyways and backyards in Toronto to the streets of New York city.

Never-seen-before footage of this captivating new hybrid is combined with ground-breaking scientific research as we travel deep inside a world that was once shrouded in mystery – to gain new insight and understanding in to a species that is far more elusive, impressive and strikingly beautiful than any of us could ever of imagined.

Part of the problem I had with the subject is David Suzuki....he's been known to distort the facts at times. Coyote/wolf/dog hybrids are not a new thing for anyone who has been out there hunting them. Just look at the great number of different colour phases of the yote shot in southern ontario. Look at the size as well. Compared to northern ontario, southern ontario is a rich smorgasborg of plant and animal life despite the farming practices locally. Add in the relatively mild winters and the only limiting factor for these things is when the populations get too high and mange sets in.

By the way, that loud gagging sound you heard during the airing of the show was from the farmers and deer hunters who don't think they should be put on such a high pedestal. They are just doing what coyotes do.

Don't get me wrong, I do admire the critters and think they are a great hunting challenge. But when I find a downed deer or see the buggers waiting with a bib under their chin when we release pheasants in the fall, I do tend to grind my teeth just a tad.

Driving to London last week, on the 403 just before Brantford, I saw a wild dog I thought was a coyote but after a second look I shook my head and thought it was a big red and brown husky....could it have been one of these. As an Angler and not a hunter I do not have a good eye for this type of wildlife as someone like CH does. My wife was with me and she's an ex-equestrian trainer that is used to seeing tons of coyotes on the trails, she could not tell either.

As for the hunters and farmers, I can imagine your frustrations, however nature will continue along its own intentions, wether or not it is impacted by the human population. Adaptation after all is the key in avoiding failure to thrive.

EDIT:

P.S. I agree 100% about Suzuki, I met him once in a forest behind Sheridan college, he's pretty far out there.

coyotehunter. It is good to read words from someone that has real world experience with these animals.

The thing that bugs me the most about the coyote lovers is they promote the idea that people need to kowtow to coyotes. That we need to " respect " them instead of the other way around. This is a recipe for bad news. stupid, stupid, stupid.

I love coyotes and have a lot of respect for them. I understand why some have to be managed though but just wish everyone who did hunt them would utilize them the best they could not waste or wound them. I know a few guys who shoot them in the head as not to waste the pelt. Not cool.

What I don't like are these coyote watchers who not only distort the facts, omit information and defend coyotes at any cost but they take every opportunity to smear all hunters both politically but on a personal level. Reading the above they would call this a "profile change" despite myself always respecting all wildlife. I really hope if there is ever a human fatality caused by coyotes it's one of them that goes down. They are nothing but a bunch of ARA's, antihunting whackjobs that work hard to change the public's perception of hunters to something totally unacceptable.

David Suzuki makes some amazing TV material. I don't take much of what he says seriously but its good entertainment and awesome camera work

. I really hope if there is ever a human fatality caused by coyotes it's one of them that goes down

^^^^^

EDIT: never mind, I misunderstood this statement. but yeah none the less:

Already happened: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html A 19-year-old folk singer from Toronto has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Not to mention: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/20/oakville-girl-chased-bit-by-coyote Dashing like a roadrunner couldn’t keep eight-year-old Julia Couto away from the coyote that snapped at her right thigh.

And: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/09/30/11224736-sun.html OTTAWA -- A 16-year-old boy was picking apples in Osgoode Saturday when he noticed out of the corner of his eye a coyote “sizing him up.”Joey Schultz was bent over putting fallen apples in an onion bag at Spagnoli’s orchard when he spotted the coyote, about 10 ft. away, that had its head down like it was about to attack. Moments later, that’s what happened.

And so on.

Wonderful Opinions, input and thoughts!

Thanks Guy, as always

I watched another Documentary about the Buffallo Park - Wolves.

Simply amazing and beautiful animals.

Glad we can still somehow find a "balance" in our great Country to have them around.

* i like to take almost everything with a "grain of Salt" - always many sides to a subject.

Just nice to learn and make my opinions from there.

Nature sure is awesome!

_____

The Buffalo Wolves

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/wolves-and-buffalo.html

A pack of wolves is hunting a small herd of buffalo across a frozen landscape. It's a scene out of the ancient past, when buffalo and wolves once roamed the plains of North America. However this location is in northern Canada in Wood Buffalo National Park where this ancient relationship has continued uninterrupted for thousands of years.

1.jpg
Wolf in Wood Buffalo National Park

Wolves and Buffalo follows the fortunes of one pack of wolves, the Delta Pack. Will the pups survive their first year? Will the packs alpha animals retain their pack position to breed again next year? As they try to bring down the buffalo to keep themselves and their new pups alive what will the future hold for these ancient warriors?

Observing wolves in their natural environment is never easy but wildlife filmmaker Jeff Turner has had more luck than most over the years. More than 20 years ago he first went to Wood Buffalo Park and filmed an event between these two species that had not been seen for more than a hundred years: wolves hunting buffalo. Due to recent industrial energy developments in northern Canada Jeff is returning to learn more about their unique relationship and what the future holds for both wolves and buffalo.

2.jpg
Director Jeff Turner. Read an interview

Following these animals through the four seasons in this harsh northern him get even closer to these animals - an aerial camera balloon and hidden remote cameras that can be disguised as animals or rocks or even buffalo dung! With determination and sometimes a little humour Jeff will lead the audience on his journey as he tries to learn more about their unique relationship and what the future may hold for both wolves and buffalo.

Facinating! I live in old Milton right now and have a large backyard. This year there were a tonne of Rabbits. At any time you can step out onto my back porch or even step out onto the grass and most likely there will be Rabbit(s). Basically, the population is booming!

Rabbits bring the Yotes in. Big time!

I had gotten pretty used to seeing the Coyotes, Mostly on the streets at night and the occasional one in the yard. I'm a night owl and a smoker so I am forced to spend alot of time in the yard at night.

On a few occasions I have seen what looks to be a Yote but is much lager than the typical one I am used to. Generaly it is pretty dark at the farthest point of the yard even with flood lights and even if I am wearing my glasses my nightvision is shite. But the silhouette and the eyes seem to be larger and higher. Recently a neighbor of mine, an old Italian who's English is slightly broken has been telling me about Wolves in the area. This guy was a farmer almost all his life so I figured it was his Interpretation of a Coyote at first but after a bit of a debate and head scratching I realized, He meant Wolf when he said Wolf.

The Escarpment is a pretty diverse environment and my neighborhood is practically in it's shadow, so not much surprises me as far as whatever seems to wader down from the trails up there. Cripes.....we had a Bear through here last year! :crazy:

Anyhow, I am pretty convinced now that it is quite possibly this 'Coywolf" we are seeing.

Pretty crazy stuff.

I putter around (Fish) the GTA area frequently.

.... and LOVE IT!

Run into all kinds of "urbanized animals" .... and LOVE IT!

Practically any of the TRIB VALLEYS, the Harbourfront areas (Islands, Tommy Thompson, Beaches)

Always makes my Fishing experience 1000 times greater to share with.

If you get out at NIGHT as much as I do - Whole new world "Lurking" out there.

... A great & Facinating one!

Just got to OPEN YOUR EYES & EARS and ENJOY!

Facinating! I live in old Milton right now and have a large backyard. This year there were a tonne of Rabbits. At any time you can step out onto my back porch or even step out onto the grass and most likely there will be Rabbit(s). Basically, the population is booming!

Rabbits bring the Yotes in. Big time!

I had gotten pretty used to seeing the Coyotes, Mostly on the streets at night and the occasional one in the yard. I'm a night owl and a smoker so I am forced to spend alot of time in the yard at night.

On a few occasions I have seen what looks to be a Yote but is much lager than the typical one I am used to. Generaly it is pretty dark at the farthest point of the yard even with flood lights and even if I am wearing my glasses my nightvision is shite. But the silhouette and the eyes seem to be larger and higher. Recently a neighbor of mine, an old Italian who's English is slightly broken has been telling me about Wolves in the area. This guy was a farmer almost all his life so I figured it was his Interpretation of a Coyote at first but after a bit of a debate and head scratching I realized, He meant Wolf when he said Wolf.

The Escarpment is a pretty diverse environment and my neighborhood is practically in it's shadow, so not much surprises me as far as whatever seems to wader down from the trails up there. Cripes.....we had a Bear through here last year! :crazy:

Anyhow, I am pretty convinced now that it is quite possibly this 'Coywolf" we are seeing.

Pretty crazy stuff.

Pretty insane ... if you get a high powered flashlight you can make their eyes glow back at ya!

One of the sickest things I have heard is a pack of wolves moving in for the kill, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as it went from communication howls to a disturbing sound followed by a celebration

Snags, I hear you. We were sitting on the dock in the south tip of Algonquin Park one night and heard two packs of wolves that responded to our calls. One was off the North end of the lake and the other was not too far from our cabin. The pack closest to us jumped a deer and killed it nearby. All we found the next morning was hair and few bone fragments. You never heard so much snapping and snarling in your life. The closest I have ever been to such an awful sounding thing was when I accidently wandered into a going out of business sale at a women's clothing store. Man, I think that wolf pack would have turned tail and run just like I did.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years back I went to a Pheasants Forever talk here in Niagara. Great organization by the way not ripping them here! Talk was about some habitat rehabilitation work local in the region. I asked about how they planned to deal with Yotes and was told they don’t predate on birds! I have seen the work they do on house cats, whitetail fawns, turkeys and geese! They are very smart and crafty! I have been out foxed by them on a few occasions with me bow while hunting deer. They are an opportunist feeder and a survivor as outlined in that CBC show.

Now question how many guys in the region are managing them to try and increase whitetail numbers on properties they are hunting?

• 2 weeks later...

i keep chasing off what i thought was a coyote off my front lawn early hrs of the morning or late hrs of the night LOL. i will try to get some pics of the little bugger now and measure prints. thanks for the post great watch

Archived