12 Mile Winter Carp

BAITCASTER

Hey there guys... So a Buddy and I hit the 12 on saturday and despite our efforts, came up with an empty net. We spent a good 7 hours out there. I couldnt help but wonder why the carp wouldnt want to take my perfectly presented boilies. I was using a hair rig with Pop up boilies and chumming with the method feeder. my friend was using corn puffs and then switched to regular corn on a hair rig.NOT EVEN A SNIFF LOL!!!. Am I doing something wrong or Could it be the location or even is it two early still. I guess all this time Ive been putting in will make the first carp of the year that much more fullfilling. Ill be out next weekend to try It again. any suggestions?.

Presentation test

405850667.jpg

405850663.jpg

405850661.jpg

405850660.jpg

405850657.jpg

NOTE THE GARBAGE BAG PEOPLE THIS IS WHAT WE SHOULD AL BE DOING

405850655.jpg

405850668.jpg

405850670.jpg

sounds like its been tough for everyone lately. Maybe the fish are sick of the cold temps too? great job keeping the area the way you found it.

Thanx Just doing my part. to keep our fisheries and sourounding areas fishable.

Kudos to ya for trying for carp in the cold weather . You must have been fishing the shallows there & maybe the carp prefer a certain depth in the frigid waters of the 12 . I will have to try my summer/fall spot way upstream from your spot . I haven't had a chance to try it there when the water level is fully up . There's some current there so corn may be better to chum with & use for bait as it will stay on the bottom where is was put better than the bread /corn puff method. Next week looks promising as it warms up & we should get some sunshine for a change. And kudos again for cleaning up the area ! :worthy:

Kudos to ya for trying for carp in the cold weather . You must have been fishing the shallows there & maybe the carp prefer a certain depth in the frigid waters of the 12 . I will have to try my summer/fall spot way upstream from your spot . I haven't had a chance to try it there when the water level is fully up . There's some current there so corn may be better to chum with & use for bait as it will stay on the bottom where is was put better than the bread /corn puff method. Next week looks promising as it warms up & we should get some sunshine for a change. And kudos again for cleaning up the area ! :worthy:

the current wasnt bad where we were and the chum was staying put well as well there was lots of corn in the chum...We used pop ups because it wass a little weedy on the bottom but I also tried a spot there on a nice sand bed wich was a little shallower..Maybe your right in water depths can definately effect where they stay in the winter. but Im bound in determined to find out how to get these guys in the colder wheather....Im gonna try green ribbon or behind the general next sat, I am willing to sacrifice the size of the fish to find out what they like to feed on in the winter as well as water depths..

CHEERS!!!!

Chris

I would head UP River, there is a place where two rivers meet and there is a difference in water temps.. I usually have sucess there.. during the winter i find the Carp are in slightly warmer water..

Good Luck!

I find that carp tend to just be really lethargic during the winter months, it is usually a hit or miss with the baits you can use anything and if the carp doesn't feed he is in the mood for the bair then your done. Usually I will switch baits every half an hour to an hour. I usually use shrimp,roe bags of dry cat food, boilies vanilla i find is the best,corn. I will be hitting the waters tomorow for some carp I will let you know how I do! Also I find the lighter the line the better, I use 6lb test on my super light rod the reason I can feel everything. I also have it carp will nibble and if you try setting the hook then you spook them right out.

I find that carp tend to just be really lethargic during the winter months, it is usually a hit or miss with the baits you can use anything and if the carp doesn't feed he is in the mood for the bair then your done. Usually I will switch baits every half an hour to an hour. I usually use shrimp,roe bags of dry cat food, boilies vanilla i find is the best,corn. I will be hitting the waters tomorow for some carp I will let you know how I do! Also I find the lighter the line the better, I use 6lb test on my super light rod the reason I can feel everything. I also have it carp will nibble and if you try setting the hook then you spook them right out.

I normally never try to set the hook with carp thts what your weight on your mainline is for when using a hair rig. I always use a bait runner so even if the hook is not completely set when I pick up my rod and start to real the second drag should properly set the hook. I will definately try the vanilla boilies, beleive it or not its the only flavour I didnt try lol. Thanks I look forward to hearing your post to see how you did....GOOD LUCK.........

CHEERS!!!

Chris

• 8 months later...

Question, if you use a pack feed weight above the hair rig will that suffice as your weight to set the hook. This may explain a loss in fish this year.

The feeder cages or feeders come either weighted or not weighted. You can get the weighted ones with different sized weights. So yes they will suffice.

perkins. There are a lot of different styles of weighted feeders. Here is a link that shows some of them. You have to decide which you prefer for the waters that you fish .http://s588.photobucket.com/user/hammercarp/slideshow/Weighted%20Feeders . It shows weighted, coil feeders, flat bottomed feeders, finned feeders and wire cage feeders. There are probably even more . The choice is yours. You can even put lead on feeders yourself with a little Mcgyvering.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived