Great Horned Owl-North St Catharines

toaster

yesterday afternoon @ my parents near scott and niagara, i heard a commotion in the trees. saw a few crows hassling what i thought was a hawk. when it moved to a closer tree i could see its horns. they irritated it to the point it took off heading south, with them chasing it. last time i saw an owl was 20 years ago salmon fishing at dusk in the old canal, nevermind in the suburbs during the day.

Good for you for scaring the crows away. I don't like crows very much... But I did learn on the nature of things that crows are smartest birds...

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the foothill of the"mountain" near kings forest, most nights when I come home from work I can hear what I think is a hoot owl just across the street in the trees.

when I take my boy on hikes to the falls and up on the escarpment, I can find tons of owl pellets especially near pine groves.

'tis a beautiful sound.

We have a very nice red tail hawk visiting our yard , a few times this winter . He/she is eyeballing the birds at the feeder but we haven't seen one of the birds get caught by the hawk , yet . The doves are an easy target .....very slow to react when the feed from the ground , very easy target . When it comes to sounds , I like the loud sound coming from the wings of the swans when the fly past you ........would love to capture them on video , but never fast enough to get the camera ready to shoot......or catch them on that #%&@# screen !

My wife and I were on the way to her parents house in Beamsville and a hawk came barreling down at the windshield about a foot away from the car it veers to the right and grabs a mouse. Was probably the coolest thing to see, I have never seen one actually dive for its prey before, only on tv and youtube.

I have seen the Crow and Owl battle before myself.

One early morning Bass fishing on lake Eugenia, I witnessed two Owls being pestered by a bunch of Crow on a downed tree a ways back in the bush. One Owl had both wings outstreched and was apparrently sheilding his/her mate (couldn't tell the difference between a male and female) from the barrage.

The wingspan was incredible. We didn't even know there was a second Owl until we drifted past and were able to see behind the first one.

One of the most awe inspiring moments I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing while fishing.

Archived