Cold Water - What Do You Wear?

Gnfshn

I do not own a dry suit or a floatation suit.

In the pat I have only been out in warm water conditions.

How comfortable would a full floatation suit (Mustang or Nautilus style) be while trolling and casting along the shoreline?

Thanks in advance for experienced feedback.

Some are bulky to cast with,try out a few different kind's.I personally find the 2 i have owned uncomfortable but i like to have a chance at staying alive if i go in!

Never used either in a canoe or kayak before.... something tells me as stated survival suites would be bulky and get in the way.

another mentioned using a wet suit as a base layer... even a shorty style...

now that is an excellent idea!

I've found that survival suits (floaters) can be bulky and stiffen up in cold weather. I recently purchased a Frabill Snosuit (grey one) and was a great purchase! Not cheap, but worth it. Lots of mobility, water and wind proof. Great for hard or soft water fishing.

I usually wear my waders with a paddling specific jacket with neoprene cuffs on the sleeves, neck and waist. Then a good pfd on over all that. It's not water tight, but this time of year I don't paddle too far from shore anyways. So falling in (although it'll suck bad) probably isn't life threatening.

I winsurf and surf as long as there is open water, which mean most of the year in the niagara river. I do own a drysuit, but when kayaking i wear a wetsuit and a lifejacket. If i fall in it will keep me alive and floating until i can get to shore. Neoprene waders and a belt would also work.. if all else fails wear a thick 100% wool sweater Wool has natural oil on the fibres so that the water tends to bead on the surface leaving lots of air in the material.

With thinner cotton the water wicks straight through, giving nice thermal conducting water path from the skin to the outside. Although ichy Wool will protect you when wet

I have surfed in the fall and wore a shortie wetsuit and a thick wool sweater over top, I was cold but not freezing

Mike

How about fleece? I read somewhere that fleece has similar properties to natural wool. Multilayered fleece is my choice for cold activities but haven’t had experience being completely wet…

fleece has water shedding properties. but not as good an insulator as wool when soacking wet. Wool even while sopping wet holds almost 80% of its insulating capabilities. I still prefer fleece though too because it's so much more comfortable and lighter

Archived