Line Help

Bryan

How often should you re-spool your fishing line? or what is the avg use of life for fishing line?

for Mono, Briad, and Fluoro...

It's based on personal choice. I change my line 2 times a year once for the summer run once for the winter run. A lot of pro's that fish tourneys will change their line after every tourney. It's what you feel like you can afford. That us mainly my personal opinion hope this helps

yes it does.. I didnt know people changed line that often.. I change my line once a year, sometime once every two years.. i don't know if this is suitable or if i should be changing more often.. So far I haven't had any issues with line..

I use 10lbs Braid on one reel..

8lbs Mono on another..

and Fluoro for leaders...

Change when you have issues.The more sun exposure the faster they crap out on you.The line will usually start to break on you when your tying a knot if it is real bad.Usually i take 10' off at the start of a day,thats where the most knicks are.

i change it when i need to pretty much, iv had the same braid on my steelhead rod the whole season, i have the same 4lb line on my ultra light from a year and a half ago, i dont like to waste money, so il only buy line when i have to

Depends on how much you use it too.

If it is performing well then you likely do not need to change it.

I have had fresh line (mono) last less than a week due to some very busy days with fresh run salmon and getting some stretch plus wear on the line.

Storage in cool and dark conditions helps. Some people travel with rod and reel in the back window of the car - that can't be good.

I just add more line on once I completely run out or am low, don't find a need to change my line and waste my money.

i agree. i usually end up low on my spool long before the line is at a point where it absolutely needs to be changed.

I don't go through a lot of braid. I usually use a leader, that takes the brunt of the wear and tear. If braid gets discoloured or fades, just Sharpie it, and it goes black. Braid shouldn't break off much. Shouldn't get to frayed if you use a leader. I very rarely change my braid unless there is a major problem.

Mono and flouro should be changed when it gets line twists or low and needs to be topped up. If your line is low, it reduces your casting distance...so does line twist. Not to mention annoying as all hell. If your line breaks easy then it is time to change...nylon lines break down and loses its integrity.

Using a line conditioner is supposed to help with line twist and is less than a spool of flouro, might be worth a try.

Depends on the situation. For tournaments, more often than usual especially for mono. For money fish like tuna, after every fish for the tippet. For fun which is most often, hardly ever unless peeling off a few feet at a time to ensure clean line. The characteristics of braid make it last ridiculously long, especially if reversed and the fresh part becomes the end of the line.

Archived