Fiddle Heads

smerchly

Spring is here (believe it or not) , and soon the little green violin plants will be peeking through the ground . I found a large patch of chives at Martindale which survived the winter nicely and are edible now . This article was printed in the Standard today and may be a nice way to prepare those fiddle heads . Chef Mick may have some good ideas on cooking up these tasty treats .......? ;)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2013/03/27/fiddling-with-fiddleheads-good-for-sickkids

Find them all the time on the sides of the creeks. Just pick 'em and shove a handfull in your waders and eat them as you go :) . Great snack

My dad, brother and I would pick them and mom would fry them in butter. Good!

That's how I have prepared them twjoe ......with a little salt added . But lately we have been doing most veggies in a steamer cooker , then add some butter to them on the plate . ........so good !

Personally never tried Fiddleheads, however, I did a bit of reading on them...and it says that you need to make sure they are washed good and cooked. There is cases in certain areas where people have got sick from eating them raw? I dont know....Im just saying what I read. I would like to try them myself so I will keep my eye out for them.

A friend was pointing out some edible mushrooms this past summer....lots of them as a matter of fact. He also said, pick the wrong ones and your in trouble. So on that note....I just buy them from the store. :P

Personally never tried Fiddleheads, however, I did a bit of reading on them...and it says that you need to make sure they are washed good and cooked. There is cases in certain areas where people have got sick from eating them raw? I dont know....Im just saying what I read. I would like to try them myself so I will keep my eye out for them.

A friend was pointing out some edible mushrooms this past summer....lots of them as a matter of fact. He also said, pick the wrong ones and your in trouble. So on that note....I just buy them from the store. :P

They should be ok raw if they have not been contaminated. Make sure they are 100% curled and you have nothing to worry about.

They only become poisonous as they uncurl and blossom into fern leaves. Won't kill you, but you may wish they had lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Pan fried Fidd's are awesome, somtimes i flour them before hand. I've also breaded them and deepfried with various dipping sauces. Broiled em and put them ontop a nice oliveoil pasta. Options are endless!

Wash thoroughly, sautee with olive oil, season with sea salt and cracked pepper, top with fresh lemon zest and blue cheese, broil on low for 3 minuites.

My favourite way!!!

Hey Chef, do you think the blue cheese overpowers the subtlety of the fiddleheads? Curious...my go-to would be Regiano

Any flavour will overpower fiddle heads, I use strong flavoured foods in "moderation" (pun intended)

On fiddle heads, asparugus, spinach, i use just a bit

arugula, swiss char and rapini a little bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Gerritt....I have heard of other people having sprouting problems....no, sorry thats sprinting problems. :bb2: I have been wanting to try them as well, until I read up a bit further on them about not eating them raw and making sure they are well cooked. My luck...Id be sprinting

Notice how he mentions make sure you cook them for at least ten minutes. Some guys claim to eat them raw

Survivorman eats em RAW!.....Lol

I would be somewhat reluctant to eat anything wild raw unless absolutely necessary. Who knows what critter defecated on em.

I like them on top of whole large mushroom heads filled with cheese and garlic. Little lemon juice. Great side for just about any meal (STEAK!!!). Both fried in the pan alone before combining. Fiddleheads can obviously be halved to fit on smaller Mushrooms. Butter is prefered to fry with but Olive oil is fine. Just have to season to your preference

Survivorman eats em RAW!.....Lol

I would be somewhat reluctant to eat anything wild raw unless absolutely necessary. Who knows what critter defecated on em.

I like them on top of whole large mushroom heads filled with cheese and garlic. Little lemon juice. Great side for just about any meal (STEAK!!!). Both fried in the pan alone before combining. Fiddleheads can obviously be halved to fit on smaller Mushrooms. Butter is prefered to fry with but Olive oil is fine. Just have to season to your preference

We're coming to your house for dinner!

Archived