Custom Baits

sean_

I pour my own jigs, make cedar lures and have tried working with twisters and worms..

Did you know that you can reuse your old plastic worms. yes you can remelt them down to make something new.

1. First you will need a mold. hum well you could look on the net and buy one or you can make one. now by making your own you can come up with a kind that has been in your head for sometime now and just never seen it at the bait shop. You can make one from plasterparis. or you can also use the 100% silicon that you get from home depot just thin it a bit with water. To make a new kind of lure get some clay from your kid and make one the way you want the lure to look. You can also use your favorite lure, use some Vaseline on the plastic lure as it makes it easy to remove. Senko type flat worms are an easy one to start with. Ok now you need some thing to make the mold in. easiest way is to take some legos yes legos and make a 4 sided wall about 2 or 3 high thats up to you put that on a old box top and pour you stuff into and let it set for just a bit then take your worm and get it wet from water and push it half way into the rubber and let it set over night. Now you have a one sided mold if you want a 2 side you need to get add more legos and lather the dry side and worm with Vaseline ortake some plastic wrap that you get from your wife lay it down on top of the mold you just made and cut out where your new bait is so just the bait is out . Now get the bait wet one more time "but now to much " and put back, and pour more rubber. Let that set 2 days or more if you can and you should have a mold. It does take a few tries sometimes to get it right so keep at it

2. MELT the bait ok now you need the old baits. you can keep all the colors the same or mix for new colors. you just melt them now in a pan on your stove or in a lead melt pot or you can even do it in the microwave it's up to you. but I like the stove so I dont burn the plastic. when it's melted you can add some salt if you like and mix it in good just before your pour in the mold.

3. POURING ok now you ready to pour this will take a few time to learn just how much and how fast it pours so know that up front. slowly pour in your mold if you have just one sided mold your done let it set for 5 mins or if you have a 2 sided go to next part or so then then put in bowl of water "helps make it a bit harder and stay together" If you have a 2 sided mold pour the other side {you can use another color if you would like} and let set for just a bit until you can move the mold to fit onto the other then put some weight on the mold for about 5 mins. now open and put in a bowl of water. and now you have new baits out of old.

3.EXPERIMENT, try different colours, combinations of colours or craft store sparkles. Pour one colour then pour the next while the first is hot. You can also add spices, garlic salt, anise etc.

POST THE RESULTS HERE!!!

100_1619.JPG

Let others see it

For the plastic I have a bag in my boat that the used twister or worm bodies go, you know the ones, sunfish bites the tail off etc. after a trip i sort the colours so they don't bleed together.

cheers

i made a couple molds, and tried the new bioplastic, i found a recipe for it to be honest it doesnt seem very strong at all and if on the pricey side to make

does any one know where i can get plastisol ?

id rather not go to the states lol

buying bags of frogs and senkos are getting to expensive with the amout of fishing i do lol

in bass season im out there every two days at least till season closes

Bloody post, couldn't sleep last night, thinking about pouring plastic... here is the results...

164941_10151528757380376_1021184987_n.jp

This was an old mold from last year. Made out of plaster, I remember having to paint the mold with elmers glue to seal it, because it was making the plastic bubble. Rubber was from old twister tails, a pack from the cheap bin, twister tails but bright green. Once heated it seemed to darken a bit.

The dimples are from marbles I placed in the first half of. once dry I took the marbles out then lathered vaseline on everything. poured new plaster on top of the dry mould and let dry. once dry i took the form out and split the mould.....

I may do a instructable on the process for people here.

Mike

Bloody post, couldn't sleep last night, thinking about pouring plastic... here is the results...

164941_10151528757380376_1021184987_n.jp

This was an old mold from last year. Made out of plaster, I remember having to paint the mold with elmers glue to seal it, because it was making the plastic bubble. Rubber was from old twister tails, a pack from the cheap bin, twister tails but bright green. Once heated it seemed to darken a bit.

The dimples are from marbles I placed in the first half of. once dry I took the marbles out then lathered vaseline on everything. poured new plaster on top of the dry mould and let dry. once dry i took the form out and split the mould.....

I may do a instructable on the process for people here.

Mike

beauties !

I make some wooden musky and pike lures, havent got into pouring plastics yet but would like to do it for big swimbaits.

Picture028.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture010.jpg

those are amazing !

@rile wow those are amazing how did you make these bad boys on a wooden lathe pm if you don't wanna msg on here.

i cut them out on my band saw then shape them with a file or router. i also have an airbrush i use to paint them then i clear coat them with a tough epoxy coating, caught many fish onr those lures last year, salmon, bass, musky, and pike

Fish2012024.jpg

Fish2012048_zps7a84d8a5.jpg

Fish2012030_zpsc00d3f0a.jpg

Thats some awesome work.....all the way through here. Those musky baits are amazing...nice work !!

Thanks guys, ya i had a few at grimsby tackle, only one left last time i was in, i just make them out of my bike shed and its not heated so i havent made any since the fall, started a new batch this week though and should have some ready soon.

Archived