Dunnville Cats

bass2mouth

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we got the the river at aprox. 8 p.m. saw 2 guys in a tinner on the far side of the dam, they left before it got to dark other than us noone. I think the water is still a bit cold to triger the big run, anyone catching right now are probably resident fish, but its just my opinion as I am not an expert on cats or the grand. parking lots along the way were all empty, and I was really surprised to see nobody at the dam!! on a side report no sightings of steel trying to jump up the dam either and we were all keeping a close eye out.

Well I cant wait for it, I just dont have time between work and family to keep going and checking out the river, is there a Grand River site that shows temp and flow.

EDIT:

UMMM yah nevermind, I will search myself lol, the above sentence is completely contradicting one of my posts in another thread !!!

My friend went last week on Friday (Easter). He struggled but stuck it out and landed 4,. Biggest was 15 pds. I believe he was using sucker meat, but not sure. Might have been boilies of some sort. He got his fish when he went shallower into 8 and 9 feet of water, but that can change within any given day. My son and I tried for 2 hours without a sniff using sucker meat. Tonnes of bait at the launch in Dunville. Perhaps try some of that bait for cats if desperate for some. My musky/cat net was stolen from the dock within 3 minutes when we forgot it and went back to get it! Not impressed. Only two guys there bringing their boat in at the time. They said they saw nothing. Did not want to take it further with my son there. Quite certain they took it. $80 net too. Might try Saturday for a bit. Will report. PS water temp was only 40 degrees on average.

Ok so I found the link for the lower grand flow charts, still cant find temps though'

Its giving a flow # of about 125, at York and at Dunnville, summer regular flow is 22, river is up the banks at 300, but when we were there last night we saw tons of flooding in low lying areas.

Whats up with that???

Admins if this is a highjack please move.

EDIT: found the temps :)

Great updates thanks. My days off are Monday's so me and my buddy are gearing up for a Sunday 10pm night to Monday day till about 1pm cat marathon. When of course the water heats up. Can't wait!! Were chasing a 20lbs+ fish I've seen pics of bigger so 20lbs should be an attainable target:)

Ok so I found the link for the lower grand flow charts, still cant find temps though'

Its giving a flow # of about 125, at York and at Dunnville, summer regular flow is 22, river is up the banks at 300, but when we were there last night we saw tons of flooding in low lying areas.

Whats up with that???

Admins if this is a highjack please move.

EDIT: found the temps :)

Very usefull info great job.

Did a bit of research and it states the optimum spawning water temp for cats is 72*F, then I thought holy smokes thats a long ways away, and then I started feeling a bit sad LOL, and THEN I saw that the search I did led me to the Grand River that is somewhere in the states, which is obviously not the river in question HEH.

So I will keep looking :read:

Did a bit of research and it states the optimum spawning water temp for cats is 72*F, then I thought holy smokes thats a long ways away, and then I started feeling a bit sad LOL, and THEN I saw that the search I did led me to the Grand River that is somewhere in the states, which is obviously not the river in question HEH.

So I will keep looking :read:

Right on can't wait to see hear the reels peeling drag ziiiinnnnnnggggggg.

Added that link to my iPhone bookmark hahaha

Me on the other hand cant wait to see my reel turning backwards as line is being taken through the egg sinker (insert some sort of really quiet sound here that I have no idea how to spell) :crazy:

IS there still a launch right by the dam? If not how long of a trip is it from maitland with a 9.9 or 50 hp? never put a boat in over there anything to look out for as far as rocks or anything? I tried searching this but no answers

Archived