Monofilament Versus Fluorocarbon: The Math And Science Behind The Comparison

niagarangler89

For the tournament angler, I get the whole "have to have every advantage possible". But some of us just aren't in that race man

It isn't about tournies, its about catching fish. Using the proper gear for the techniques your fishing only makes sense. It will also increase your catch rate.

Everyone on this forum wants to be a better angler but no one wants to take advice. It will cost maybe an extra $10-15 to spool a reel up with 8lb test flouro...that isn't alot of money if that alone increases how many fish you catch over the course of a year.

If a pro angler told me to switch lines to increase catch rates, my line would be changed the next day.

It isn't about tournies, its about catching fish. Using the proper gear for the techniques your fishing only makes sense. It will also increase your catch rate.

Everyone on this forum wants to be a better angler but no one wants to take advice. It will cost maybe an extra $10-15 to spool a reel up with 8lb test flouro...that isn't alot of money if that alone increases how many fish you catch over the course of a year.

If a pro angler told me to switch lines to increase catch rates, my line would be changed the next day.

That is a fair point, but it all depends which side of the fence you sit.

Personally, I am one of those sit-back-and-let-them-bite-if-they-feel-like-it kind of guys. I fish just to get outside, enjoy some fresh air and catch a fish. I feel I can do that with proven, but inexpensive gear and setups. Sure I like to maximize my time out on the water, but angling to me is a pass time more than a sport with a limited budget.

For other people, obviously fishing is a sport regardless if it is for prizes or bragging rights. That's cool. Some people get their kicks on seeing how many fish they can catch in a day using the latest and coolest toys. Whatever floats their boat.

Nobody is arguing which is better: mono or fluoro. The argument is whether or not some of us can be bothered spending the extra cash for marginal results.

I am a fan of flourocarbon as leader/tippet material, IMO it is a waste to spool a reel with it.

Archived