Monofilament Versus Fluorocarbon: The Math And Science Behind The Comparison

niagarangler89

Thought many of you may find this to be an interesting read: http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/the-truth-about-fluorocarbon.html

The authors do a good job of summarizing the key points so that those of us without Einsteinian minds can still follow. Here's my summary of the key comparisons:

Invisibility: Not a significant difference

Stretch: Not a significant difference

UV degredation: Advantage-FC

Density/sink-rate: Slight advantage-FC; works best with shallow running lures (spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, cranks, etc)

Water absorption: Advantage-FC

Knot strength: Advantage-MF

Weight: Advantage-MF

Hardness/abrasion resistance: Advantage-FC (but only after mono has absorbed water)

Thermal conductivity/knot-cinching strength: Not a significant difference

Sensitivity: Advantage-FC

Dang! Just bought a spool of FC for leader because I thought it was more invisible. Other factors seem to have advantages though so I guess I didn't waste my moola.

Thanks for the summary .

I'm like Staffman - I too always thought that FC had an edge on the invisibility feature over Mono.

Maybe I don't need to tie on swivels & FC leaders for most uses.

Regarding (in)visibility, FC does still test marginally better than MF, but as kroaks mentioned, the marketers have really exaggerated the difference. For some it may still translate to being more confident and catching more fish, but it's more a perceived advantage than a real one.

With that being said, and after taking into account many of the factors that anglers attribute to a good quality line, there are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both FC and MF, and each has an appropriate time/application.

The article doesn't really say one type of line is superior to the other, just that the advantages of FC over MF are not are large as many may believe.

Good read. A lot of similar studies have been published and draw very similar conclusions. I have always fished mono and felt that it was the happy medium. I will use fluoro leaders in gin-clear water just because, otherwise its mono top-to-bottom. For stretch, I do not worry too much about it. Rod length and action has just as much to say about hooksets and sensitivity as line stretch IMO.

I would like to hear the difference between fc leader and line

IMO the leader is just another marketing ploy to sell us less line for more $. I've only ever bought fc line and used it for leader material

Sometimes you have to wonder if there is a difference, how come when you are fishing away with everything in your tackle box and fish swim by and just bump your line, Hmmm maybe they didnt see it.

i just use fc line for my leaders, i like berkley vanish transition line as my leaders, 250 yards for 20$, i use it probably 5 feet at a time and it lasts me a nice amount of time, and its interesting that it is colored outside water when in the sun, but when in the water it goes "invisible" caught plenty of fish with it

Now I want to hear all your thoughts on fc vs mono vs braid vs nano? Maybe I should start a new thread for that.

I often just tie on about 8 feet of fluorocarbon directly to my braid with a double uni knot so I can just wind my knot right onto my spool. It also lasts me a couple trips with all the knot tying before I have to tie on a new piece of fluorocarbon.

i like using the combo of braid as my main line and fc for my leader

exactly what i use for perch fishing. i do believe the fc is less visible when the water is clear and the braid allows me to feel even the tiniest of bites and when setting the hook you only need a flick of the wrist

• 2 weeks later...

Thought many of you may find this to be an interesting read: http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/the-truth-about-fluorocarbon.html

The authors do a good job of summarizing the key points so that those of us without Einsteinian minds can still follow. Here's my summary of the key comparisons:

Invisibility: Not a significant difference

Stretch: Not a significant difference

UV degredation: Advantage-FC

Density/sink-rate: Slight advantage-FC; works best with shallow running lures (spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, cranks, etc)

Water absorption: Advantage-FC

Knot strength: Advantage-MF

Weight: Advantage-MF

Hardness/abrasion resistance: Advantage-FC (but only after mono has absorbed water)

Thermal conductivity/knot-cinching strength: Not a significant difference

Sensitivity: Advantage-FC

curious about the knot strength point.....I use different knots for fc vs mono (improved clinch is my go-to mono knot, but hate it for fc!).....I would like to know which knot they were tying......

EDIT: the original report states "ymmv" depending on the knot you tie, etc.....exactly what I was thinking.

In an attempt to save money, I tried using mono instead of fc leader material. I found the mono to be too limp for my liking. Abrasion resistance was not as good as the fc either. I stick with braid and fc leader connected with a double uni knot.

To me, just the abrasion resistance is worth using the fc. After perch fishing for hours to get bit off by an incidendal pike or walleye using an 8lb mono leader is just a pi$$ off. A short length of fc would have prevented all that ... I've landed pretty big pike just using the 8lb fc leader, and it held until I landed it. Also been bit off LOTS of times in the old days just using mono leaders... My money's on the fc ....

So, flouro is still less visible, has a higher sensitivity, better abrasion resistance and lower stretch compared to mono after it absorbs water.

I don't know where you fish, but I fish in water...and after 8 hours on the water, I want the line that tested better after its been in water!!!

Mono has a place on your rods for certain applications, but to think flouro isn't better after the tests clearely states that flouro will give you a slight advantage...why wouldn't you use it.

If two race car drivers have the same driving ability but one driver has a car that handles slighty better and is slighty faster...who do you think would win?

Mono, in its defense has come a long way since the old days. So when flouro first came to the market there may have been a far greater difference than now.

Mono has a place on your rods for certain applications, but to think flouro isn't better after the tests clearely states that flouro will give you a slight advantage...why wouldn't you use it.

If two race car drivers have the same driving ability but one driver has a car that handles slighty better and is slighty faster...who do you think would win?

For the tournament angler, I get the whole "have to have every advantage possible". But some of us just aren't in that race man

With so many different brands/formulations of both mono and FC I can't see how a generalized comparison can be made nd considered accurate.

I use fc for mainline and use the improved clinch. I have not noticed any problems with break off at the knot.

With so many different brands/formulations of both mono and FC I can't see how a generalized comparison can be made nd considered accurate.

I use fc for mainline and use the improved clinch. I have not noticed any problems with break off at the knot.

If you like a larger knot with lots of wraps (like the improved clinch), the uni knot is superior for tying flourocarbon IMO

for tying hooks, flies, etc - especially smaller sizes - the davy knot is awesome. I use this one almost exclusively for winter steelheading and such, as it's a snap to tie with frozen fingers :)

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/davy-knot

Archived