Fish Finder In Shallow Water Question

CamG14

Hi,

I am thinking about picking up a portable fish finder for a small 14' aluminum boat

What I am wondering is will it work in the kind of water we fish in.

We generally only target pan fish and spend most of our time on small (shallow) bodies of water, such as Valens conservation, Binbrook (lake Niapenco) and Frenchmans Bay.

I am wondering if I should be looking for somthing that will show me the structure under the boat more than the fish, That way I can find drop offs, rock piles, and other types of structure.

I would appreciate any advice,

Thanks

Cam

I use one in the kayak all the time, great for finding structure. I can see the bottom contours in the welland river and the deepest part we go is 14 feet.

I use a Piranha Max 160 portable great little unit, show's structure and drop off or fish from 3 feet out to 600 feet.

I'll second the Piranha Max portable (I have the 150) as a great starter's unit.

Have used it on the canoe, my buddy's little tinner, and ice fishing this past winter. For just over $100, you can't go wrong. It's great for temperature, depth, structure, and in cleaner, deeper water, you can even use the raw sonar returns to mark fish.

For shallower water (<5ft), unless really clean or a really hard bottom, the graph doesn't work as well (and in those conditions/that depth, you're probably better off sight fishing). So keep that in mind.

I'm not sure there are any good units for shallow water purposes, unless you're willing to spend a decent amount.

HI

I had (have) a Piranahmax 160... I loved it... but the prop ate the transducer.

Humminbird came out with a new product called the 196 ci. portable.

Instead of replacing the transducer I'm saving up for this one. (Its a few extra bucks... not much... but it comes with GPS.)

Thank you for all the responses

You convinced me to get a fish finder.

I picked up a garmin 300c and I am playing around with it in the demo mode.

I can't wait to try it out, unfortunatly all the conservation lakes we go to are closed until may 1st so I am going to try and find somewhere to go this weekend to try it out. Thinking of Jordan area

I will let you know how it works

Thanks,

Cam

Archived