Pike On The Fly

Parksy12

Will be doing some fly fishing for pike this spring on my annual trip up to Black Lake, Ny. Never fly fished for pike before, curious what to do for leader? Since a regular leader wouldn't do the job here. Need some help, since I'm new to fly fishing in general. What I still use my fluoro/mono leader and tippet or what? Basically need help for line set up, thanks!

Good question. The few fly-rod pike I've caught were on either mono or flouro tippets in the 6 to 8 pound range, as I was actually targeting other species at the time. Despite that, I had no issues with cut or abraded tippet material. I was probably lucky to be honest, so I'd say go with a comparatively heavy flouro tippet of 15 pounds or more, or a wire tippet if you don't have confidence in the flouro. You shouldn't need much more than 12 inches for a tippet, so heavy flouro or wire won't affect your casting too adversely.

you have a few options. go buy a heavy test mono (minimum 60#) and make your own leaders about 6-8 inches long. Look up on youtube on how to make them, there are a few different ways. also, there is a product I just bought called "knot too kinky". its a knottable wire leader that wont kink or twist and also stretches a bit.

the mono leaders are usually pretty stiff and don't give much action to the fly but they help to turn over big, wind resistant flies and are less visible. The wire has better movement, but is much more visible. Try both, see which you prefer

Order some Mason's HARD mono or use some 30-40# fluoro leader material. I tried using steel leader for a while but it seemed to always hinge and end up getting tangled. Another way to deal with them is use a very long hook. Check this info out from FS.

Thanks everyone! Gonna look into all the options. Thinking about some heavy test mono, right now that's sounding good.

IHasfish: Could you please send me a few videos on this, would appreciate it! Wanna watch the right video.

This is why I love this forum, there's always people willing to help out! Thanks

I follow this video to tie my leaders.

I just use regular mono for the tapered leader then hard mono or fluoro for the tippet. I use hard mono for my leaders when I'm fishing in really warm conditions (above 80-85F).

Great video Dogman...i guess once you have a few tied up if you got broke off you could just re-connect new floro?

Yup I use a perfection loop at both ends so I can just swap out the tippet if it gets frayed or broken. They are super easy to tie up too once you get the hang of it.

Yup I use a perfection loop at both ends so I can just swap out the tippet if it gets frayed or broken. They are super easy to tie up too once you get the hang of it.

Whew....i have so much to learn with this fly fishing....lol. More money to spend on more materials..lol. honest honey....6 more types of line, some skagits, mows, and lessons....and a few more fly tying materials and thats it.....i promise!!!! Then to top it off...last night she said she wanted to learn fly fishing as well...lol. now im thinking hmmmm double up the price now.lol.

Whew....i have so much to learn with this fly fishing....lol. More money to spend on more materials..lol. honest honey....6 more types of line, some skagits, mows, and lessons....and a few more fly tying materials and thats it.....i promise!!!! Then to top it off...last night she said she wanted to learn fly fishing as well...lol. now im thinking hmmmm double up the price now.lol.

Don't go buying a bunch of line. If you need a couple I'd be happy to tie some up for you. Send me a PM with your address and I'll tie a few up in different sizes.

and when she owns you, you'll take up golf :lol:

She owns me already...killed me ice fishing, then i took her to NY to fish for steelies, ten mins in she has the first fish on....lost it, then gets the next fish on about half hour later landed. Proceeds to giggle and taunt me....luckly i was able to redeem myself later in the day.

Don't go buying a bunch of line. If you need a couple I'd be happy to tie some up for you. Send me a PM with your address and I'll tie a few up in different sizes.

What a generous offer Dogman...very much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Archived