2013 Crappie Derby Report

ChefMick

What started out as a beautiful morning turned out to be a fantastic day at this years annual Binbrook Crappie Derby, sponsored by our friends at Fishing World in Hamilton.

3:30 a.m. wake up shower and tie up.

4:00 a.m. secure the boat, do the check list.

4:45 a.m. pick up my derby partner Tom a.k.a "LipRipper"

5:15 a.m. get to Fishing World for some last minutes.

5:45 a.m get in line for the launch.

406533129.jpg

6:20 a.m. on the water and head to our 1st hole.

406533141.jpg

From this point on for about an hour or so, fishing was slower but still not bad, Tom and I get about 20 crappie, but nothing for weigh-in. Time to hit our next drift, about another hour into it, the slabs are getting a bit bigger and into another 20-30 or so, 2 in the well of med. size just to have a weigh-in.

Time for third drift. again abot 15-20 more crappie and some bigger to replace the two in the well.

Now at this point the suns getting warm, so we decide to change tacktics, as Tom sais "ok time for the meat and potatoes", his money hole.

Things start heating up quick, and the slabs are getting thick, including my PB of the day just under a lb.

406533171.jpg

Despite catching more that Tom in #'s, now he lives up to the name "Lip Ripper", he casts just next to my retrieve and hooks into the biggest crappie I have ever seen, and his all time PB. Out go all the fish in the well, fresh water goes in and huge smiles on us.

406533190.jpg

PB is in his left hand, so we head back to the start of the drift and Whammo, 1st cast Tom gets into the 2nd biggest crappie.

Now we have 2 solid contenders, and about 1 hr. to weigh-in, we decide to stay, get into a ton more: we stopped counting around the 70 mark, but the trolling battery is getting low, time to head to the scales.

Tom's biggest weighs in at 1.33 lbs., and the 2nd 1.26 lbs. good for 1st and 2nd.

406533196.jpg

Next guy weigh in 1 slab at 1.38, knocking Tom down to 2nd and 3rd,

Next viable weigh-in, is 1.42 lbs. knocking 3rd out and dropping Tom to 3rd.

With only 2 minutes remaining until whistle, Tommy Lui, from Hamilton bassmaster and sponsored by Fishing World steps up to the scales: at this point a crowd has now grown.

Tommy's only weigh-in sits at 1.48 lbs. winning the derby knocking Tom down to fourth.

A bit disappointed not sitting on the final leaderboard and a bit sunburned, all in all it was a great day for the kids, their families, and Tom and I.

All fish landed were safley released.

congrats again to you Tom for puttin us in the sweet spot!! and thanks to Mike and the Fishing World staff for another great derby!!

Aweome report Mick....had me thinking you stole the win, non the less some very respectable fish. Nice report, glad you guys had fun.

wow very nice slabs !! good job guys

not about winning and loosing its about having fun and enjoying the company and weather !!

Archived