Short Runs

trouttamer

was out tonight and this evening for some carping. Was fishing a 3 1/2 oz semi fixed bolt rig. I had 3 very short runs fishing a tight line, basically the run was over by the time I picked up the rod. Has this happened to others and what can I do to ensure a longer run. Ive fished this way for a while and never really had this problem before. Any insight is appreciated.

thanks Darrin

was out tonight and this evening for some carping. Was fishing a 3 1/2 oz semi fixed bolt rig. I had 3 very short runs fishing a tight line, basically the run was over by the time I picked up the rod. Has this happened to others and what can I do to ensure a longer run. Ive fished this way for a while and never really had this problem before. Any insight is appreciated.

thanks Darrin

i had that happen to me when i card fish a egg sinker hook and dough ball rig. usually il leave a little slack just to see the line tense up before the fish knows hes hooked, usually the little bit of extra line out gives me that extra 1/4 second i need to set the hook, my theory though is that its small cats at charles dailey they are playing with the bait. good luck on improving your hook up rate though

Check your rigs, hook sharpness and whether it turns properly in the fishes mouth is a huge. 9 times out of 10 if your getting short runs your rigs are not working effectively.

Archived