May 24 Report

rile

Decent sized pike for sure...I caught one an inch bigger in Smiths Bay ( Quinte ) and cost me a trip to the hospital as well after I lodged a treble hook under my thumb nail that I could not get out. Felt like an idiot walking into emerg dept with a rappala hanging from my thumb. Tried in the boat for an hour to take it out....no luck and blood all over the place...lol. Since then...needle nose pliers any time Im pike fishing.

Decent sized pike for sure...I caught one an inch bigger in Smiths Bay ( Quinte ) and cost me a trip to the hospital as well after I lodged a treble hook under my thumb nail that I could not get out. Felt like an idiot walking into emerg dept with a rappala hanging from my thumb. Tried in the boat for an hour to take it out....no luck and blood all over the place...lol. Since then...needle nose pliers any time Im pike fishing.

This is why I fish 100% barbless and the fact that barbless fishing kills less, injures less fish.... NO NEED FOR BARBS! Yes, the odd smallie throws the bait back in your face but it's all part of fishing fun! I lose very few fish to going barbless..... I hate barbs! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

While I am on the subject of the fishes' well being, I see some horrendous photos in all facets of media showing anglers holding fish by the gill plates suspended in air carrying their full weight out of the water, guys lipping bass the wrong way, pulling down on the lower jaw in an extreme way.... today's fishing shows do very little in educating people of fish handling and the crucial need to release them unharmed.... it's all rock and roll/metal music and "crank em in as fast as ya can then keep em out of the water forever as we yap to the camera about the fish".

I dare any of today's angling tv personalities to go barbless, in fact I dare Niagara anglers to give it a try.... is it not the law in Manitoba I once read?

I am off to the post cold front Niagara come dawn..... yak at ya later, eh

Another reason I believe in pinching the barbs on my lures.

Bravo!!!

That's a real nice pike!! What did it bite??

Williams wobbler, those along with the 7 inch suick and the large saltwater x rap caught most of the fish. Oh and got a few on the HJ14 husky Jerk.

Bigger is almost always better for pike. Even the snot rockets will take whacks at them.

I agree, i like to thow fairly large lures for pike, especially in the fall, but they' ll work any time of the year. Im really liking those 7" Suicks for pike, got a bunch of fish on them at ice out this year. Its something different in the spring for the fish when everyone else is throwing suspending minnowbaits. I just took pencil lead and wrapped it around the front hook so they would float very slowly and could be worked slower.

Fishing2013014_zps423dbfdf.jpg

Fishing2013012_zpsc98a8a85.jpg

This is why I fish 100% barbless and the fact that barbless fishing kills less, injures less fish.... NO NEED FOR BARBS! Yes, the odd smallie throws the bait back in your face but it's all part of fishing fun! I lose very few fish to going barbless..... I hate barbs! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

While I am on the subject of the fishes' well being, I see some horrendous photos in all facets of media showing anglers holding fish by the gill plates suspended in air carrying their full weight out of the water, guys lipping bass the wrong way, pulling down on the lower jaw in an extreme way.... today's fishing shows do very little in educating people of fish handling and the crucial need to release them unharmed.... it's all rock and roll/metal music and "crank em in as fast as ya can then keep em out of the water forever as we yap to the camera about the fish".

I dare any of today's angling tv personalities to go barbless, in fact I dare Niagara anglers to give it a try.... is it not the law in Manitoba I once read?

I am off to the post cold front Niagara come dawn..... yak at ya later, eh

Bravo!!!

I'll give it a try !!

Agree with you there, i see many pics of people holding big pike and musky vertically just by the gill plate, that is not the proper way! They should be held horizontally with your hand supporting their belly.

sorry to hear that dave. i was cringing just thinking about it. hope you didnt lose too much fishing time lol

Archived