Where To Launch A Canoe/boat Along The Welland River?

blue pilgrim

Hey folks.

Was thinking of hitting the Welland river tomorrow, (unless you can suggest somewhere better :pardon: ).

I have a canoe and was wondering if you know of any good launches.

Just want to get out on the water and chase pannies, perch or pike. If you want to tell me any other places that are a nice easy paddle in the St. Kitts, Welland, NFO area please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

There is a free launch at E.C Brown Conservation Area on Old River Road, just across from the airport, and the Wellandport Community Centre. Those are the only ones i really know about, but I'm sure the others on here probably know more spots ! Good luck and tight lines out there ! :)

Both spots that Jmo1685 have actual boat launches, and are great spots to start out at, also there is another free boat launch on River Rd, off Woodlawn if you want to fish between the Aqueduct in downtown Welland to the Aqueduct in Port Robinson, also Chippawa Creek Conservation area has a boat launch to the Welland River also, keep in mind you'll have to pay the $4.00 entry fee.

If you happen to use a canoe/kayak there is many spots along the river that you can park and launch easily, you just have to look for them as there is too many to list. lol

Good luck!

Nice dock on merrit island, great for canoe kayak launch. And don't forget the rec canal, end of thorold road has a parking lot and from there you can go left to the flat watercentre where there is a parking lot and docks. Pike and pannies galore in welland. Good Luck!!

Mike

• 3 years later...
On ‎2013‎-‎06‎-‎06 at 6:02 PM, Jmo1685 said:

There is a free launch at E.C Brown Conservation Area on Old River Road, just across from the airport, and the Wellandport Community Centre. Those are the only ones i really know about, but I'm sure the others on here probably know more spots ! Good luck and tight lines out there ! :)

Does the ramp at E.C. Brown Conservation Area have a dock? Is it a concrete ramp? Just curious as I would like to launch a small 14 foot aluminum with my car. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Erbster said:

Does the ramp at E.C. Brown Conservation Area have a dock? Is it a concrete ramp? Just curious as I would like to launch a small 14 foot aluminum with my car. Thanks!

Erbster the ramp at E C Brown is not concrete but it's still a good ramp i put my 14 foot in there all the time and there is a dock

Between the 2 aquaducts it gets to between 12-15' deep. Port Robinson aquaduct to chipawa gets quite deep, some spots up to 30' if I remember correctly. There is the chipawa launch on the welland river as well as one behind palfinger in the falls as well. 

2 hours ago, kgm said:

Between the 2 aquaducts it gets to between 12-15' deep. Port Robinson aquaduct to chipawa gets quite deep, some spots up to 30' if I remember correctly. There is the chipawa launch on the welland river as well as one behind palfinger in the falls as well. 

Wow i didn't think the river got that deep on that side

1 hour ago, gunner-2 said:

Wow i didn't think the river got that deep on that side

I was pretty surprised last time I was down there. Gets deep real fast from shore too. Some spots I was 10' off shore, could see the bottom on one side of the boat, fish finder registering 20 plus feet on the other. I don't know how far up it stays that deep, but from the chipawa launch to the launch by palfinger it's all around that deep. I know it gets shallow by the train bridge. Not sure how deep it is past there though.  I always assume that's where guys are having the most luck walleye fishing (I have never had any good luck down that way though, ha ha)

Archived