2 Rod Trolling the Grand

GREYHAWK

Have I missed something in the regulations for 2005 or was I an unfortunate observer of a blatant violation to the 2 rod rule for trolling L. Erie and Ontario,

established a few years ago? :(

While fishing the Grand, out of Dunnville today, my brother-in-law and I managed to net some 20 fish jigging with frozen smelt and trolling Bomber A's, Big Os and CC Shads mainly in chartreuse.

To our dismay, we witnessed at least 4 single fishermen (sic) trolling with 2 rods.

On questioning the legitimacy of this practice, one of the violators admitted that "he had simply forgotten"! RIGHT!!!!!! :dunno:

Has this become more common on the Grand at this time of year (walleye are running)? I must admit this is the first time I have ever seen such blatant misuse of the rules (ethics) of fishing.

Does the MNR ever patrol these waters? If not, it might be time for a heads up alert!

If I have misunderstood the 2 rod rule for fishing, please advise!

GREYHAWK

Thanks fo the post Greyhawk. As a fisherman we must adhere to the regulations. We may not agree with them but it is the law. Lack of MNR does not help this either. Good fishing. Scottydog

Guest Big Bass Rich

OPP have been known to roam those waters especially on weekends. Trust me it's not a good place to be blatantly disregarding the rules. OPP knows rules like this and also will check for fishing licenses. Hopefully they'll be out on the weekend during the beautiful weather and the OPP might have something to say to them!

It's pretty sad actually. Every time I go there I see guys doing it. And when you tell them, they act surprised and then say something under their breath when they bring in the other line.

BBR, don't count on the cops to bust people for fishing with two rods... The cops are there looking for people drinking on boats. MNR patrols the area, from shore. The guys that fish the river with two rods fish in areas where the C.O's can't watch them.

I know there's one guy in particular, his boat says "Pro Mag" on the side. Every time I see him, two lines....... Every time I say something he ignores me. This year I'll be calling crimestoppers with boat registration numbers if people don't comply after a warning.

Now Greyhawk.... you say you got 20 fish.... The trolling sounds about right, but jigging frozen smelt? Never heard of people trying that on the Grand. Walleye or cats??????

Guest cplummer

jigging a smelt is an awesome way to turn on slow walleye i used it in the past with great results .. never tried it on the grand though but it works great in other places i have tried.

cliff...

[Yo: That's right - frozen smelt. By far the most consistent hit has been cats, especially at the weir (dam), but the the odd large walleye has fallen prey. The cats we took on the initial venture trying out the smelt were hefty buggers at that! :lol:

I must warn you that the life of the smelt is not long and it works much better in its frozen state. The smelt soon turns to mush and looks uninviting as a natural bait on the jig hook. I should also add that we do not use the whole smelt at once, but rather cut it two, impaling the head first then the tail once the head has served its purpose. We have found that hook ups using the head are slightly greater than using the tail. Goes to show you that great cats love HEAD better than TAIL :lol:

quote=_YO_,Jun 24 2005, 11:40 AM]

It's pretty sad actually. Every time I go there I see guys doing it. And when you tell them, they act surprised and then say something under their breath when they bring in the other line.

BBR, don't count on the cops to bust people for fishing with two rods... The cops are there looking for people drinking on boats. MNR patrols the area, from shore. The guys that fish the river with two rods fish in areas where the C.O's can't watch them.

I know there's one guy in particular, his boat says "Pro Mag" on the side. Every time I see him, two lines....... Every time I say something he ignores me. This year I'll be calling crimestoppers with boat registration numbers if people don't comply after a warning.

Now Greyhawk.... you say you got 20 fish.... The trolling sounds about right, but jigging frozen smelt? Never heard of people trying that on the Grand. Walleye or cats??????

21515[/snapback]

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
  Goes to show you that great cats love HEAD better than TAIL :lol:

21536[/snapback]

:lol:

You will never change :lol:

Guest cplummer
Smelt is also against the law to use for bait ..... :angry:

21593[/snapback]

illegal to sell when alive steve but kill them and freeze them then they are legal for use or sell..

cliff...

What were you going for by trolling Bomber a's and big o's?

And for the rule, is it trolling one pole per person legal, but two per one person illegal just to get it straight incase i ever try it.

Thanks, Andrew.

[Andrew: Trolling with the Big Os and Bomber As targeted walleye. However, don't be surprised if you get cats and plenty of sheephead on the Grand. You may even pick up a carp, but these are usually snagged. :angry:

Trolling with ONE rod is LEGAL, but trolling with Two is illegal on the Grand!

Archived