Suggestions?

ron4blues

I'll be taking a youngster out for an afternoon of fishing on Sunday. I typically take him out once or twice a year, as he's in a single-parent family and doesn't get to enjoy fishing as often as he'd like. His mom will be coming along too of course. We usually just hit some spots around Hamilton Harbour, but this time was thinking a change of scenery would be fun. Any suggestions on easily accessible areas with public parking nearby down the peninsula where I can be fairly certain of getting this young man into fish (he's not fussy: even goby action will have him excited). I don't get down the peninsula as often as I'd like, so tips are welcome. If you have a "secret" spot you want to share, PM me rather than posting it here.

Its not near Hamilton, but the last week at Charles Daley i have been catching tons of cats, with my biggest coming in at 20" ! All you need is a nightcrawler under a float, and you'll get into some kind of fish (Channels, Bullheads, Perch, Sheephead, Sunfish). i find the bite is the best early on, or later, but i have caught fish in the middle of the day, just not as many. (This is the 16 mile side). the 15 mile side has the same fish i believe, as well as bass (which ill be after saturday). Hope this helps ! :)

Hey Coach, check out Lake Niapenco at Binbrook conservation area, you can rent small jon boats or canoes, there are a ton of bass, crappie and pike in the lake.

If you decide to go there let me know, Im taking my kids there Sunday morning-afternoon fishing then swimming on the beach. I can show/tell you some good spots also.

PM me.

I know its a way to go but minnows off the coal docks at the end of Jarvis Rd. in For Erie has been landing perch all day long, just hang the line over the edge with a perch rig set up like in the lake

Dufferin's Islands is a great spot for kids. I took my daughters out on Monday and they had a great time. Lots of catfish and rock bass. There are some really really large carp in there as well. It can get pretty busy on weekends though.

Glenridge quarry near Brock University - bobber and hot dogs for bait - tons of catfish and some goldfish - my kids love it.

Bit of a walk, but there's a path, nice boardwalk to fish from.

Good luck.

Try Port Dover, they get perch, cat fish carp and bass, use a rig and minnows, also good place for touring if his mom gets bored.....If you need a place for minnows try Caledonia Bait and Tackle, you could also try Caledonia dam talk to Mike at the tackle shop.............. Good luck...

I was all over Port Dalhousie today riding my bike from pier to pier to see how the anglers were doing . Some small mouth , rock bass and silvers being caught at most spots & lots of minnows everywhere . At the marina side of the pier there are some big carp swimming around , the odd pike , gills & perch being caught . Bass will be open above the dam and Rennie Park may produce some bass , pike perch & lots of gills . More food for thought for ya Coach . :Gonefishing:

Hey coach, no matter where you fish, what a great thing that is of you to take the kid out fishing. I love taking my grand kids out...most times they do more messing around then actually fishing and all my time is spent baiting and untangling lines lol. But its sure worth it when they do catch fish. I took my granddaughter to Spring Valley trout farm last summer as one of our trips, and with only her and the wife fishing cost me $85.00 lol. I kid you not, my wife pulled about a good 7-8 trout out of there. Thing was hanging a foot out of the 5 gal pails they give you. I used to go there they were all 14 - 16 inch fish...now they are all over the 16 inch making it expensive to stay very long. Your float is under the water before it even lands...LOL. Good luck wherever you go, and good on you.

Hey Coach, check out Lake Niapenco at Binbrook conservation area, you can rent small jon boats or canoes, there are a ton of bass, crappie and pike in the lake.

If you decide to go there let me know, Im taking my kids there Sunday morning-afternoon fishing then swimming on the beach. I can show/tell you some good spots also.

PM me.

Might have to stay away from niapenco for a while! Keep checking the news :read:

If you don't mind paying to get into the park, Fifty Point Conservation Area has been my go to spot for guaranteed action with the kids. On a sunny day, set up shop along the west bank of the trout pond, and he'll have sunnies and rockies all day long (as well as the odd bass). It usually doesn't take more than a minute or so to get them on.

Might have to stay away from niapenco for a while! Keep checking the news :read:

Meh! I hate to say it but I think those idiots where swimming out by the dam! It is unfortunate!

Archived