How Much Is 2 Much ?

smerchly

To chum or not to chum ....that is the question ! When fishing for carp in a confined area of shoreline I usually toss a few handfulls ofcanned corn in the immediate area where my bait sits , an area of about 30' in diameter . I'm thinking too much chum bait may cut your chances for the carp to find "your" little offering amongst the chum . How much corn or other chum is enough to bring some carp to the area for a days fishing (4-6 hrs) ? I also heard the best chum of all is hemp seeds ! Really ? I picked up some tackle at Peters a few days ago and sure enough there were bags of hemp seeds in the carp section ! If the fishing is slow I suppose you can put some seeds on your twinkies .......

Hey Smerch...Ive often chummed for Carp at 50 point, I try to be the last one there before they close then toss out an entire bag of frozen corn, then be the 1st to arrive when they open. usually if the carp do come through during the evening some of them are still there scouring the bottom for more corn, then when I toss out my rig with corn on it....game on!!

in a recent session of 6hrs I had 15 runs. when I start I put out about 6 catapults, as soon as I noticed fish in my swim I throw out more and after each run more goes out. multiple carp can eat alot of corn. in my 6 hour session overall I threw at least 5 pounds probably more of chum out

also hemp seed is a great fish attractor, I add it to groundbait as you cant shoot it far as it is so small if using hemp like field corn it needs to be soaked and then boiled until the seeds begin to split

Darrin

dry field corn soak 24-36hrs

boil 30 minutes

hemp seed soak 24rs

boil until seeds split

these guidelines are for unprepared field corn and hemp. Store bought particles may already have been prepared

To chum or not to chum ....that is the question ! When fishing for carp in a confined area of shoreline I usually toss a few handfulls ofcanned corn in the immediate area where my bait sits , an area of about 30' in diameter . I'm thinking too much chum bait may cut your chances for the carp to find "your" little offering amongst the chum . How much corn or other chum is enough to bring some carp to the area for a days fishing (4-6 hrs) ? I also heard the best chum of all is hemp seeds ! Really ? I picked up some tackle at Peters a few days ago and sure enough there were bags of hemp seeds in the carp section ! If the fishing is slow I suppose you can put some seeds on your twinkies .......

Listen to trouttamer, he knows of what he speaks :)

The only thing I can add of any relevance that has not already been mentioned, is to confine your chum to as tight of an area as possible - spreading out over 30 ft is counter productive IMO. I like to keep my chum tightly grouped and fish just on the edge of the baited area.

Do not worry about them finding your bait, a pod of carp on the feed will devour every last offering they find.

As trouttamer mentioned it is a good idea to chum after each run as keeping the feeding fish in your swim is the name of the game - if they finish your chum they will move on searching for more food. You would be surprised how much a pod of feeding carp can eat

Thanks for the info guys . I also checked the web for info on hemp seeds and found some short cuts for cooking it . Mixing it in with pack bait sounds good and simple . I didn't read much about the scent of that foul smelling stuff attracting the carp . They mentioned the carp seeing the dark seeds with the white shoots attracting them . I'll have to buy a bag (about 8 bucks) and boil some up (outside) :skunk: lol .

Now ....the corn ! Feed mill corn , the cheapest & must be cooked .........Dollar store corn, 2 cans of large kernel for a buck ......or frozen corn in a bag from No Frills . And I suppose I'll just pass my big bag of small marshmellows to the cook of the house to make desert ! :smiley_campfire-1:

Fish paylake style and you chum with every cast. No need to worry about spreading your bait out too wide because your hook is in the bait . Just keep casting in the same spot. Basically the idea is to attract and hold fish in front of you. Once you have them in your swim you keep them there by spodding ,slingshoting, spooning, throwing method balls or packbait out there . All these methods work.

Pre baiting with maize/feed corn is a great way of conditioning carp to visit your spot. If you have a good spot you can throw some soaked and or boiled field corn into it for a few days before you fish it. Three days in a row seems to be the consensus for best results.

Hemp seed has a great reputation but does have draw backs due to it's small size and light wgt.

I have also heard that too much hemp seed can be a bad thing, causing the carp to become obsessive with picking up the tiny particles and ignoring your hookbait :) I have never tested the theory as I would rather catch the fish :)

I have also heard that too much hemp seed can be a bad thing, causing the carp to become obsessive with picking up the tiny particles and ignoring your hookbait :) I have never tested the theory as I would rather catch the fish :)

That may be true .....just add some chocolate to the hook bait ! :wub: drives them wild !

Thanks Lorne , I will give Jordan another try very soon and will take some extra corn .

• 2 weeks later...

There are excellent coarse fishing shows on WFN, hosted by some really maniacal experts.

One guy use a homebrew that was finely ground and damp enough to compress into handsize balls, chucking in a couple ever few hours.

Sekret tip: Very fine grained chum disperses in the water column and wafts about... yet is too small for the fish to actually eat and fill up on. Brings them in, gets them hungry, you know the rest.

So with that style of chum, you can chuck all you want.

Archived