Lure, Spinner Help

basscrazy

well in my opinion braided line casts farther, you could always change the blades to bigger ones with a bit more weight. In really windy conditions Ive even gone as far as to clamp on a large wingless split shot up close on the hook shank under the skirting.

Unless you are talking about things like small inline spinners like Bluefox, and Mepps. I have no problem getting them out as they are pretty well weighted.

Also if your fishing with fluorocarbon line keep your eye out for Stren's new line called Fluorocast, apparently its going to be pretty slick for casting and wont kink up after time.

Are you using a baitcaster or a spinning reel? If you are using a spinning reel you should be able to launch a 3" bait pretty far. The 2" may be to light. Wrap some solder on the hook shank (yep, the stuff for plumbing and electrical) or lead tape on the belly of the bait and it will make it heavier. You may have to fine tune the bait to run true. You can also use a 3-way rig to run cranks deeper and cast farther.

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/files/photos/1269559286_1258697555_153110-3way_crank.jpg

Chef also brings up an awesome point...your line. General rule, the lighter the bait, the lighter the line. For a 2" bait, like an X-Rap, I will cast it with 4lb test mono/flouro or the lightest test braid I can find.

Your rod may make or break your casting distance. A slightly longer rod with moderate action will help casting distance.

Add a few more details about your setup: model of cranks/rod and reel. I'm sure someone will be able to get you casting right.

After all these years of fishing, I finally decided to try braid, because a buddy at work said he always uses it, so I bought a spool of 30lb power pro braid line for catfish and carp and I was amazed at how strong yet thin it is, I brought that pol with me when I went bass fishing the other day cause I was using husky jerk's , so I was casting the whole time and I was curious to see how it would perform rather than the usual catfish and carp fishing of cast and wait, retrieve later, and I tell ya the stuff is awesome! I get great distance when casting a light lure and the stuff is super strong, especially with the 30lb test LOL.

I'm still a little queezy about braid . I seem to lose more fish , get hung up more and can never straighten out a small tangle if it knots up just a little too tight ......bring out the knife & slash ! lol

and it takes me longer to tie a simple palomar knot ! :(

I switched to Nanofil on my spinning reels and I can sure tell the difference, even over braid. I also use a med Quantum resource spinning rod which is a little stiffer, AND the first guide is almost at the halfway point of the rod, which lets the line unspool with less restriction... casts pretty far.

All I've ever used is braid with a fluoro leader. Can't beat it.

With the smaller cranks, try using a couple split shot up the leader in equal spaces or you'll have problems with hinging when you cast.

equipment can make a big difference as well. a few years ago i was using a cheap rapalla spinning set up. i bought an abu garcia set up and i could instantly get an extra 10-15 feet of casting distance with the same lures and same line

Nanofil is best casting line period. Also like was said earlier keep your spool full and only use the lightest line you can get away with for the situation. A good reel will lay line better and come off the spool easier also

+1 on the Nanofill. Awesome line! The only negative feedback I have heard about it was from a guy who said it cast too far and he was overshooting his target and getting hung up in the trees on the bank! maybe I missed it... what rod, reel and line are you currently using? I have no problem casting ultra light baits but I am using a 7 foot light action rod loaded with 10 pound Nanofil.

+1 on the Nanofill. Awesome line! The only negative feedback I have heard about it was from a guy who said it cast too far and he was overshooting his target and getting hung up in the trees on the bank! maybe I missed it... what rod, reel and line are you currently using? I have no problem casting ultra light baits but I am using a 7 foot light action rod loaded with 10 pound Nanofil.

wait until you get it into some zebra mussels or some good sharp niagara boulders.....it shreds like cheese. I can also confirm that 12lb nano breaks before 8lb drennan.

Not saying I don't like the line, but for certain applications only IMO.

Well there's your problem! That big Ugly Stik is too big for light lures. Especially with 30lb braid. Use the smaller rod. Personally, I find the Ugly Stik to whippy for small lures. I prefer something with a bit more back bone. I would also try using 8lb test braid. It's the equivalent to 1lb mono, that is what I use for almost all my spinning gear.

Hey sorry, I'm using a 8'9" ugly stick lite, heavy action, with a shimano sidestab 4000re with 30 pound sufix braid.

I also use a 6 foot ugly stick, med action with a koala kd500 with 4 pound sufix

What do you normally fish with that big honkin' ugly sticky? A fish big enough to need a rod like that is not interested in a 3" crankbait...

That little ugly stick you got on the other hand should do the trick. Worst case, stick some splitshot 12" from the lure.

The big ugly stick I use for salmon, trout, carp. The small one with 4 pound I my bass, pickerel- ect rod. Big dog to whippy? Can you recommend a rod/ reel for me ? With out braking the bank to much? I will pick of the 8lb braid.

The big ugly stick I use for salmon, trout, carp. The small one with 4 pound I my bass, pickerel- ect rod. Big dog to whippy? Can you recommend a rod/ reel for me ? With out braking the bank to much? I will pick of the 8lb braid.

Ok, we're on the same page now. lol :)

I would go light or med-light action in a 6'-7' with backbone (fast action) I use a 6' Quantum Response, 1 piece that retails for about 50 bucks. Its great for drop shot, small cranks and jerks. Its my most funnest rod for shore fishin! Another good rod is the Berkley Amp series. Not bad and its like $30.

Archived