Long Weekend In The Soo

Ola

my son dragged me up to the soo over the long weekend and we were not disappointed. started off slowly on saturday, searching for brookies. after visiting a great little fly shop north of the soo and chatting at length with the very enthusiastic proprietor we did some bushwacking and did mange to wrangle up a number of 3 lb smallies but no brookies. (he laughed while he related a story about a gentleman from switzerland that came to the area recently and was thrilled beyond belief after landing a 2 lb smallmouth which he said was a trophy-sized fish compared to what is available back home. reminds us of how spoiled we are in ontario.)

13July01ChippawaBass06_zps62ea30fd.jpg

sunday and monday we tackled the rapids. i wouldn't mind having that stretch of water in my neighbourhood since it would be impossible to get bored learning and fishing that water. it's not often that screaming steelhead runs are anti-climatic but that is only because of the atlantics that share the rapids. he is already planning a return on august long weekend. the best news is that we definitely need a bigger net!

13July01Steelhead0122_zps53126c12.jpg

945346cf-d9eb-41f6-8c96-22a97559c846_zps

13July01Steelhead0243_zpsb11f5fd0.jpg

while i didn't manage any steelhead, i did score the pièce de résistance, a 28" atlantic, caught on a gold-bead hen of all things, fished as a dropper off a bead-head bugger that i had mcgiver'd to look like a hex nymph. earlier i had been broken off by another big fish in the same run, when the line snapped at the point i had attached lead shot. i went with the 2 bead-heads to avoid the heartbreak of breaking off another fish. it worked. never let anyone badmouth the lowly hare's ear nymph! small muddlers did the rest of the damage.

13July0128inchAtlantic56_zpsf9ba229f.jpg

hey! wish i knew you guys were in my end of ontario, i just started fishing the rapids and i can agree its quite an awesome place, beauty atlantic though, i have gotten a few in the 20 inch range, but that was tossing cleos beside the power station, glad you enjoyed your time though, sad to hear of no brookies but im sure the smallies and atlantics were good compensation.

hahaha, agreed. those rocks are unbelievably slippery, and there are a lot of random drop offs, its the next thing on my fishing wishlist

in preparation for the famous 'moose snot', we just mcgiver'd wading staffs by using aluminum ski poles strung off our waders. if you get the cord length just right you can toss it over the opposite shoulder to get it out of the way for walking the wall/parking lot and just let it float on the tether in the water while fishing.

i did grab an official collapsible one on the ride home, for random use, but the ski pole works perfectly for the rapids - along with metal cleats - since you dare not move without it. the real adventure comes when you have to move while trying to fight a fish.

and despite all those precautions, i still took a '3 stooges' flip (while standing in 3" of water). :blush:

Very nice Ola...love the Atlantic. St Marys is definitely on my to do list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

need to get out there

if you are able to come, aim for first week of september, we have the gates open right now so the rapids are unfishable, but the first week with the eater down will be great, fish will be everywhere with the water lowering so much over night. currently there are lots of atlantics, in the rapids, but chinooks are in the rapids as of late but not to hot yet.

Archived