Rough Day On The Grand

iHasFish

Broken rod, forgotten waders, a leech on my leg and not a single trout.

This was my first time fishing the grand and I decided to go to the elora gorge, it was beautiful and had a bunch of fishy looking water but the only rising fish were small bass and minnows.

I tried everything from the hatch chart and more. Ugh.

Anyone have any input on why I sucked so bad?

The Upper Grand can be very challenging. There are several access points in and around Fergus, I have gone for years and know some good spots but still find it challenging. Usually I will go to the local fly shop and pick up about $20 in flies and discuss what is working - these guys really know the river and are helpful.

Sometimes going to smaller flies and light leaders makes a big difference (#18 caddis or pheasant tails for example).

There are times a big streamer will get results too.

My first say there was long and hard work with no fish,

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Thanks. I actually bought a new rod there yesterday after mine broke. No tips. Lol.

I started small, #18 light cahill which got a ton of rises from minnows. Then Iswung a big salmon streamer. Threw everything else in between.

The water only had about 6 inches of visibility too.

Thanks for the advice.

SIX INCHES OF VISIBILITY??

That's your answer.

Local experts may contradict me, but in my experience, don't waste your time when it's high and dirty.

If you absolutely have to wash flies, highstick/Czech nymph with something big, black, and heavy. Short line, in close, seams and behind boulders.

Or dabble in the very near-shore current break/bubble line with a big heavy streamer, just pitch and let it swing downstream of you. Both cases add lead until you regularly hang up.

Fish may be very close to shore, so keep your feet dry and try places you'd usually never consider. Feel very lucky if you hook anything.

I've been dying to get up to the Grand but haven't been able to summon the energy to drive two hours only to be driven off by the heat well before noon.

If you go back to the gorge in proper conditions, be very stealthy and double your leader length.

Think like a heron. No sound, no flash, don't push waves when wading, don't roll rocks, don't false cast seventy-five times, and false cast to the side, never over the holding water.

If you were to post updates upon occasion, you'd make me very happy.

I agree the conditions were pretty crappy to go, the visibility was garbage and the river looked pretty swollen. I just had to get out though, had the itch bad for something better than bass. (sorry if that offends) I'll be back soon when all this rain has cleared out and the river isn't mud.

Whats your setup rod/weight you use there? I live not far from fergus and see people fly fishing just down from the Shand dam. I have done good right at the bottom of the dam for pike. Mostly small though. The trout section gets a lot of pressure when the water is right. My brother was picking off small trout just below the first bridge down from the dam last year, but i dont know what fly he was using it was very small and yellow/olive colour. My fly rod is too heavy for fergus i would assume something in the 3/4 weight?

I use a #5 down there. Not too big to be cumbersome, so I can still make delicate presentations but enough backbone to chuck bigger streamer flies

Depends on experience. Zero to six weight will work. The former for giggles, the latter for pitching serious streamers. I find a five weight is just about the perfect all-rounder.

For brookies or small rivers I'll go down to a 3, but you sacrifice distance and the size of fly you can happily chuck, to a degree.

Nine times outta ten, the five weight gets it done. A major attraction of fly fishing is the pleasure of using featherweight gear, at least compared to the average spinfishing tackle.

Blown out. So I went to white man's instead. Caught about ten or so little rainbows and browns on Adams of different colors. The creek was crystal clear.

Archived