Do You Believe?

basscrazy

Yikes !!! There is a lot of unrest in the masses. Fish snobbery can work both ways. The guy that buys the high end stuff (for whatever reason) and and the guy who buys the low to medium end stuff for whatever reason) and each poo-poos the other guy.

Everyone has their own reasons for fishing the way they do and with what equipment they use. What is perfect for one may not suit the other.

There can be no question that most if not all of the advances in equipment and techniques come from tournament fishing for the popular species whether it be bass, walleye, carp, et al. A properly run ethical tournement does everything possible to ensure fish survival when it is catch and release.

Just need to remember "different strokes for different folks".

You're mising the point. Also I am not reverse snobbery-ing, and I don't think bass tourney guys are pariahs. All I'm asking is, if you say a $400 rod CAN help catch more fish, tell me why or leave my Compre alone...

Take it easy

PFG

Maybe the post was to much to read. In the last paragraph I clearly stated the differences. I have 3 Compres and they are no means low end. I also have Crucials, Cumaras and EXO's. I also own a Clarus, Berkley Amp and Lightning and about 5 other low end rods including an Ugly Stik so I feel that I can say without a doubt, there is a big difference between low end and high end. I fish mostly mid line gear so I can tell the difference between my gear and better gear. In fact If you want to come over my place I can show you the difference between a Crucial and Compre Jig and Worm rod. Ask a carpenter what he would rather use, a really cheap saw or a really nice saw...they both cut wood, one just does it better. Find a G-Loomis Pro Staffer in your area and ask him to take you out and prove it you!

No. it wasn't too much to read, I just don't agree. Maybe the top end stuff is more comfortable, but not necessary for the same end result. I drive a pontiac. Would I like to have an escalade or hummer? You bet. But is it necessary? not really ....

You're mising the point. Also I am not reverse snobbery-ing, and I don't think bass tourney guys are pariahs. All I'm asking is, if you say a $400 rod CAN help catch more fish, tell me why or leave my Compre alone...

Take it easy

PFG

I can say easily that a G.Loomis NRX is a way better rod then a Compre. I am not saying a Compre is garbage like a ugly stick but to say it compares to a NRX is foolish. The blank is way more sensitive half the weight if not more. It is built with better components which in turn help in sensitivity and weight.

No. it wasn't too much to read, I just don't agree. Maybe the top end stuff is more comfortable, but not necessary for the same end result. I drive a pontiac. Would I like to have an escalade or hummer? You bet. But is it necessary? not really ....

What don't you agree with? This is where I'm confused? It was never a question of necessity, it was which one is better. Plain and simple. I never told anyone to go buy an NRX, hell, I have Compre's the same as you! And for you to deny that the NRX is a better rod is ludacris. I'm not saying the Compre's are garbage, remember I am fishing those too, but there is no doubt an NRX is a better rod. A Stella reel is better than my Symetre. A fully rigged Ranger is better than my 14' tinny! A Ferrari is better than my Ford. There is no question. Nowhere did I say that everyone needs to buy an NRX...and this where I get even more confused, I wasn't even directing any comments to you. In fact you are saying the exact same thing as I am. Is an ugly Stik as good as a Compre...NO! This is the reverse snobbery that I am talking about. All I am saying is an Ugly Stik can't compare to a NRX...and anyone who thinks that they are the greatest fishermen in the world with their Ugly Stik should try and upgrade to a more tecnique specific rod like a COMPRE and if nothing changes, go back to your old rod. How can you say there isn't a difference if they have never tried it! Technique specific rods make a difference, not price, technique...maybe a steelheader could shine light on the subject. They don't use 6'6" Ugly Stiks!

Lol no when I fish steelhead I use a 8'6 ugly stick. I'm by far not saying I'm the best or is the ugly stick anywhere close to the best I have never picked up a NRX but I'd love to now. I think the point has been proven through everyone's comments that yes at the end of the day have a better rod makes a large differance. Now my new question is, if ugly sticks are on the bottom of the line in fishing rods why did mine cost almost 90$ did I get taken for a ride?

I have an ugly stick and I love it....but I love it only for catfishing...that's the rod I chose for the application and it works just fine and didn't crush my wallet.

Im also planning on purchasing a GL2, $250 is a lot of money however its the rod I chose for its specific application....do I want to buy each one of the crucial line up so I have a different rod for every application, maybe one day but for now my crucial jerk rod is doing just fine in at least 3 different techniques.

one last note, Im going to have to agree with Chris on the weight factor of the higher end rods, there is a huge difference, I couldn't believe how light the GL2's were, and then he showed me the NRX, and its even lighter, I couldn't believe it, I cant afford the NRX, but weight makes a big difference especially when your in a tournament. Lets face it fatigue equals lost fish. I'm not into a crazy tournament schedule yet and it may be years before that will happen, but when it does I will already have a great rod to start up with. I hope this doesn't sound too snobby but when I purchase I do go big. for instance, I needed a pair of polars last year for a derby, I stopped at a gas station to get a cheap pair cause I couldn't find my old ones. then I stopped and said well If I do this 3 more times its gonna add up.

so I waited until I could afford a pair of NUMA'S, I waited because they have a lifetime warranty and they fit my needs.

Lastly thanks for keeping this thread a debate and not a pissing match!!

I have an ugly stick and I love it....but I love it only for catfishing...that's the rod I chose for the application and it works just fine and didn't crush my wallet.

Im also planning on purchasing a GL2, $250 is a lot of money however its the rod I chose for its specific application....do I want to buy each one of the crucial line up so I have a different rod for every application, maybe one day but for now my crucial jerk rod is doing just fine in at least 3 different techniques.

one last note, Im going to have to agree with Chris on the weight factor of the higher end rods, there is a huge difference, I couldn't believe how light the GL2's were, and then he showed me the NRX, and its even lighter, I couldn't believe it, I cant afford the NRX, but weight makes a big difference especially when your in a tournament. Lets face it fatigue equals lost fish. I'm not into a crazy tournament schedule yet and it may be years before that will happen, but when it does I will already have a great rod to start up with. I hope this doesn't sound too snobby but when I purchase I do go big. for instance, I needed a pair of polars last year for a derby, I stopped at a gas station to get a cheap pair cause I couldn't find my old ones. then I stopped and said well If I do this 3 more times its gonna add up.

so I waited until I could afford a pair of NUMA'S, I waited because they have a lifetime warranty and they fit my needs.

Lastly thanks for keeping this thread a debate and not a pissing match!!

No pissing match, but I'm still not convinced. Maybe I'm too much of a pragmatist, but I could never in a million years look my wife in the eye and say "I needed a 400 dollar rod because ..."

Fatigue ---> hit the gym, or stay home and cut the grass if fishing makes you that tired..

It's a better rod -----> I thought you said that 150 dollar rod was a better rod.

It will help me catch more fish ---> You already catch enough fish.

I just wanted it ---- > ok then, I want a new car

You just can't convince me that a 400 dollar rod is twice as good as a 200 dollar rod, to me, it's a more money than brains option. That's just me.

I'm in no way bashing tournament anglers, or people who are proponents of ultra high-end gear. If you have one or are planning on getting one, enjoy...

The differnce in the higher end graphite is, it is lighter and has a thinner wall structure. A light but high density rod will allow vibrations to travel better.

Now compare a fibreglass rod to graphite. Fibreglass is less dense and heavier so it can't transfer the vibrations as well as graphite. This is why it allows you to feel more. Fibreglass rods have a spot in my fishing arsenal, but not as dropshot rods!

High end reels are the same idea. When it comes to baitcasters, the spool material, the bearings, the braking system and the body material are all improved to make it lighter, cast farther, cast smaller baits and have less backlashes!

In saying that, there is a reason that you bought a Compre VS the Stellus or an Ugly Stik. Whether it fit into your budget or you liked the look or you liked the feel, you did't purchase the low end!

Is an NRX going to make a novice angler KVD, of course not, but will it give an edge to a guy in competition against other anglers of the same calibre...yep!

And for whatever reason you feel the need to keep arguing about it, you are just proving the point of better gear. You own better gear. You use better gear. If a guy wants to buy an NRX, go for it. Why do you care. If someone asks me should they get an Ugly Stik or a Compre, I will say Compre all day!

Remember, Ugly Stik's claim to fame is its unbreakable and the ads had some dude bending the rod from tip to butt...how sensitive can that rod really be!

My ears are ringing ....hellooooo ......I like the comparison of fishing gear to cars . Over the years , cars have improved a lot ! They have gone high tech , are lighter ,faster , more aerodynamic etc etc. I bought a "high end" rod at the Falls Fenwick plant back in the 80's , over $100 bucks , big money then . I still use that 9' blackhawk ,but by todays standards it is too whippy & top heavy .....needs a 2000 size reel to balance it. Many believe spending more for a high end product , from a golf club , car or fishing rod & it will pay off with a longer life , better care , better performance and good warranty . I'm a Ford/Chevy guy and I have some rods in that class and a few things in the Cadillac range (my old 4000 Stradic) lol . Buy what you can afford or save a little longer for the Hummer ......If you fish often you need to look at the options . Ask a bud/friend/fellow fisherman to let you try their rod & reel for a few casts etc. to acquaint you with the Hummer .......There is a reason for the sticker price.

Ahahaha unbreakable, I can say last time I was in the glen I slipped and I smashed my ugly over to bloders like a bridge and it stopped me from going in, the rod didn't break! Basically saved my life

I wonder if an NRX can save a life??? :crazy:

lol just kidding...

I'm actually surprised it didn't break...

Ugly sticks are indestructible! In the event of apocalypse, I would leave my three digit priced rods to the hoards and take only the ugly stick because I know it will survive the harsh radio-active landscape. When a new civilization digs up my bones a thousand years from now, they will see a perfectly fine, unweathered ugly stick clutched in the bony fingers of my remains. lol

More bites........No!!!

More hookups....yes....as mentioned above, a more sensitive rod would allow you to detect bites faster/easier...

A better rod and reel does not necessarily mean a more expensive rod and reel...it would be more specific to the type of fishing that you are doing.

sometimes noticing the bite early can lead to premature hooksets and therefore losing more fish....I agree with matching the gear to the type of fishing u want to do....I also believe a lot of fisherman use heavier pound test line and have lost the knowledge of using a drag....something I too have been guilty of in the past thanks to favoring bass fishing. Now that I set my drag properly I catch far more fish.

Ugly sticks are indestructible! In the event of apocalypse, I would leave my three digit priced rods to the hoards and take only the ugly stick because I know it will survive the harsh radio-active landscape. When a new civilization digs up my bones a thousand years from now, they will see a perfectly fine, unweathered ugly stick clutched in the bony fingers of my remains. lol

oh yeah?................what about Zombies?

uglystick should make a Zombie stick!!

and yeah I know way off topic.

I have only one spinning rod, being primarily a fly angler. That spinning rod is an ugly stick. I can't justify spending more on a rod that might get used once or twice a year. And yes, the thing is indestructible. Usually I'll use it for casting spinners, and the strikes tend toward the aggressive side, so sensitivity isn't a big concern. I can definitely see however how a more sensitive rod would be preferrable in other situations. At the end of the day though, I'd say fish with what you can afford and enjoy.

Will a faster car make you a better driver, Would a more expensive gun make you a better hunter/shoot, Give a blind man sun glasses an he still can't see but he would look cool, if you fish in a pond with no fish... I think you get the point. Good gear is 100x better to use though and if your thing is fishing quality gear makes it more enjoyable IMO.

Archived