Canoe Trolling For Salmon?

icefisher

Hi there all. I have been searching alternative salmon fishing to boat trolling because I do not have place to store it and I can not afford one. some posts in kayak fishing forums caught my attention, they made "trolling for salmon out of lake ontario from canoe" look easier,and more comfortable vs, from kayak. now I am considering to buy canoe instead of kayak.
if you don't mind to share your experience with a newbie, I would like to ask some questions:
what style canoe should I look into: like river, touring, expedition, classic, for a big lake? can I safely solo troll in a 15' or 16' tandem canoe? and what is your canoe of chose if you would troll for a salmon out of lake ontario? thanks in advance for your time to read all this and respond.

I think a canoe is far more tippy & would end up going under.The yak has the ability the get upwright before it fills with H2O!

Forgot to let you know those barges & ships can send a pretty good tidal wide so beware & stay safe!

I would suggest a kayak, I have seen one or two attempts in a canoe, but it looks far to unsafe, if you decide to try it out, I would hope you pick the days carefully and don't push your limits, perhaps try to hook up with someone who has done it in the past to show you the ropes as well as the do's and donts

On a calm day, anything in the 10' in the immediate shore/harbor area will do fine. Just stay out of the way of traffic because they are looking for motorboats, not kayaks and canoes. Of course too, you do not want to be in the immediate wake of a larger boat.

Last night I took my 10' sea raft out probably 500m from the harbor wall in 30' of water without incident. The waters were very calm..

Keep an eye on your position at all times because you will drift with the breeze. Don't stray too far and keep an eye out for boats. Make sure they can see you. Legally required safety gear: life jacket, bilge/bail, 50' rescue rope and a globe lamp with port/starboard indicators on the bow from sundown to sunrise.

Good luck.

My kayak does me just fine out on the lake. Id rather take my boat out, but the kayak is fun

thanks for all the replys guys. maybe I should go back to my first thought that a 12' sit on top angler version kayak.

I've watched a dude on tube in wisconsin catching salmon almost half the size we normally catch from lake ontario and his 14' native kayak was spinning until he lands the fish. funny, must be exciting too. :lol:

Archived