Snapping Turtles

yakfish

Really???? I think he is showing ultimate respect for that turtle and it's jaws by holding it like that. Any other hold could be detrimental to his shins/fingers/junk...whatever.

Obviously you miss the point, catching and killing an animal for food is one thing, dangling it by it's tail to take hero shots while it's living is just cruel punishment. That animal may have been living on the earth for 80 or more years I think it deserves more respect then to be tormented and tortured so some idiot can get a hero pic for the internet. IMO this whole thread is a disgusting showing of how people disrespect wildlife and fragile ecosystems, if people took the time to educate themselves about snapping turtles they may understand what a loss it is to the enviroment when you kill them.It may take up to 20yrs before that mature turtle is replaced in the ecosystem.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you miss the point, catching and killing an animal for food is one thing, dangling it by it's tail to take hero shots while it's living is just cruel punishment. That animal may have been living on the earth for 80 or more years I think it deserves more respect then to be tormented and tortured so some idiot can get a hero pic for the internet. IMO this whole thread is a disgusting showing of how people disrespect wildlife and fragile ecosystems, if people took the time to educate themselves about snapping turtles they may understand what a loss it is to the enviroment when you kill them.It may take up to 20yrs before that mature turtle is replaced in the ecosystem.

C dude, I can respect yer way of thinking but" obviously" you get all yer groceries from a retailer. Did you never hold a fish up out of water for a "hero" shot???? I choose to live off the land as much as possible and have done so for most of my 60 odd years. I have yet to hear a turtle ask for mercy when held by the tail..LOL. You need to lighten up Dude. Maybe if you went and hugged a tree you might feel better. Don't think I am picking on you...we are just on opposite sides of a fence.........Cheers..........................Boog

I personally see nothing wrong with catching turtle to eat it....but my biggest concern with it would be because of its age the chemical content in the meat. I know....everything has chemicals but something like that big critter, i pass. Enjoy though.....hope we dont see you growing a 3rd eye later.......lol

Nevet having caught a sizeable snapper, I can't speak from experience; however, it is my understanding that a tail-grip as shown is considered the only safe way to handle one. Maybe it does cause the animal some distress, but losing a finger or two would be more distressful.

This is the most entertaining thread I've read in a while,though I find it odd that we pull fish around by there lips and then give someone a hard time for holding a turtle by its tail lmao.Peta disguised as fishermen?

C dude, I can respect yer way of thinking but" obviously" you get all yer groceries from a retailer. Did you never hold a fish up out of water for a "hero" shot???? I choose to live off the land as much as possible and have done so for most of my 60 odd years. I have yet to hear a turtle ask for mercy when held by the tail..LOL. You need to lighten up Dude. Maybe if you went and hugged a tree you might feel better. Don't think I am picking on you...we are just on opposite sides of a fence.........Cheers..........................Boog

I hunted for over 30yrs of my life and one of the most important aspects I learned from hunting was to respect the game and nature, if this is being a tree hugger then I'm guilty. It is the duty of all hunters and gatherer's to kill there prey in a respectfull quick as possible manner and not torment and torture any creatures on the planet. I feel like I'm really just blowing smoke now, some people will get it some won't. People wonder why there are tree huggers out there, alot of it is because idiots still abuse nature and the animals in it.

Well now that everyone has been completely torn to pieces I vote for a theead closure lol

X2 ... And I think everyone on this forum should get together, order pizza, grab some beers and wacky tobacci and make up for all the constant fighting and bickering amongst the threads!

X2 ... And I think everyone on this forum should get together, order pizza, grab some beers and wacky tobacci and make up for all the constant fighting and bickering amongst the threads!

Sounds good except for the wacky stuff . At my age I don't need to fill my lungs with smoke of any kind (except a little BBQ smoke ) lol

Well now that everyone has been completely torn to pieces I vote for a theead closure lol

Are you kidding....theres still plenty of entertainment left...lol. I agree we meet at Mick and Angelos though....maybe some mud wrestling in the parking lot before the cold beers..lol. Micks buying...since he offered.

You guys should all come to Mick's....awesome pizza, cold beer....leave the burn in the parking lot tho!!

Can you have fried turtle as a pizza topping? Lol! MMM...Peperoni, bacon, italian sausage, turtle chunks, mushrooms and extra cheese!

I personally see nothing wrong with catching turtle to eat it....but my biggest concern with it would be because of its age the chemical content in the meat. I know....everything has chemicals but something like that big critter, i pass. Enjoy though.....hope we dont see you growing a 3rd eye later.......lol

I will only eat 3-5 meals a year consisting of turtle meat. So im not too concerned about toxins with eating such a small quantity. He came from a pond that is spring fed and filled partialy by rain runoff. Smaller turtles aren't legal to harvest here in Ohio. Ontario actually has no limit for snapping turtle size. In Ohio, to harvest a snapping turtle it must have a carapice length of no less than 13 inches. Ths one is 15 inches.

You guys should all come to Mick's....awesome pizza, cold beer....leave the burn in the parking lot tho!!

Great idea!

When Rick owned this site, NiagaraFishing.net use to have "Swills" at Lazy Lizard in St. Catharines so members can actually meet each other, even though I never ended up making it to any lol, I'd try my hardest to make it to one, have it at Mick & Angelos, order some pizza & drinks and lie through our teeth, which is easy for me, I have crooked teeth lmao.

Archived