Looking To Crossover To The Dark Side!

RoeBaggin

Well title says it all. I have fished every other form in terms of equipment.....but fly flishing. I am particularly interested in spey fishing. I would love to buy a set up in the 8wt range. I know the sport can be expensive...but there are deals to be had. The problem is trying to find the avenues to acquire used gear. If anyone has any 8wt spey gear that they are thinking of parting with....please let me know. If you can steer me in the right direction regarding sites that may have used gear for sale I would greatly appreciate it.

Tight lines!!!

Thanks

RB

DaveC has just entered the fray and has done much of the leg work when it comes to getting set up for a good price...

BTW

It ain't the"dark side"

it's the righteous side brotha!!!

Anyone can chuck bait

:tease:

good luck and ENJOY!!!

cc

My current spey set-up is a St Croix model 14010 (14' 10 weight) 2-hander with a Pflueger Trion reel and a 650 grain Skagit (as well as a wallet full of Rio heads). The whole deal cost me $300.00 on Kijiji, and I felt like I was stealing it at the price. I'm sure you can find some good deals there too!

Good choice roebaggin....its sure a lot of fun. I love the fact you can feel e erything your fly is doing. The casting is pretty cool as well. Try the classified ads at speypages....myself i have a switch rod setup for spey fishing. What i have learned is the reel is not that important. When i do upgrade to a full spey rod i will probably only go 7 wt. I think a 13-14 ' 7 wt would be ideal. Taking a lesson is highly reccomended if you dont want to stick yourself with a hook. Rick Whorwood is good, as is Rob Heal. If you want a man to set you up with the correct lines and tips etc...then Ray at the first Cast is the man. The first cast will even let you borrow skagits of dif grain weights to test out. Look for a large arbour reel....i bought a ion for $110 brand new...works fine for me. The set of MOW TIPS was $159.00 the skagit was $59.00 and shooting running line was $49.00. The lines are not cheap. When you do get setup, i would be more than happy to join you for casting practice....once you get it down...its not that hard. Myself im enjoying it more than float fishing. I still wont retire the float rod....just have more options now. Try it man....its addicting....lol. I will keep my eye out on equipment for you....check ebay...seen a few on there as well.

THE DARK SIDE.....LOL

Thanks Dave...I have been looking at the Ion reel from echo. They say it is a great starter reel for the price. I have been floatfishing for the last seven years and feel the need for change. I welcome the challenges that spey fishing brings. Definitely have been lurking on the spey clave but most guys I think are looking to sell their gear in the USA. I will keep an eye out for deals etc.

RB

You might want to check out the 14ft ARE 7/8 wt spey rods from Anglers roost in Buffalo. Not a bad price at $135.00 if you go over and pick it up or add $40 shipped. They get a decent report and you can see them on ebay.i bought a 8/9 blank that i was going to build into a chinny rod....they are nice for the price. I know a few guys that have used them. If you cross over to Buffalo....save the shipping. Thats fr a finished rod btw. Check them out on ebay..

Dave funny you mentioned that. I am sitting on the ARE 14ft 5/6 wt blank as we speak. I was going to convert it to a BC style float rig for both Steelhead and Salmon. The 5/6 has been tested and it has been rated as a 7/8wt in terms of power. I am debating on whether to build it as a scandi rod...and then buy a little slower blank for skagit. But I am on the fence about it lol.

RB

They difinately are a faster blank for sure...i bought one as well....still sitting in the tube..lol. Was thinking to as them if i could bring it back in exchange for a finished euro style spey rod. Next time im over there i will take it with me. Rick whorwood who i took lessons with was using the loomjs roaring river....thats a nice rod for sure. Right now im using an 11ft st croix imperial swith rod with a 560 gr air flo skagit/switch. I can get it out there pretty good and its going to work fine for me to learn on...but i can see some advantage to a minimum 13' full spey rod. Im the same as you....float fishing is ok, but i like to use flys and i cant even imagine what tbe take will be like on the swing. Had a few bass already....just small but the take is so cool. Plus you can feel everything pretty much.

How's the ten weight after a day of casting Coach??

Surprisingly, I experience very little fatigue. The combo is well-balanced and quite a bit lighter than you'd expect. The rod loads well, so it takes little effort. You do learn quickly, however, to use your legs and hips and not just your arms. I would imagine that it would be very tiring to cast just using arms and shoulders.

Its all the same lol once your in the water. Fish dont eat because of whats in your hand . I fly fish cause i love sight fishing and the take . Might be stocking bonefish in cuba or carp on erie . Fish dont care. But swinging for trout does nothing for me . Give me a trout take swinging a cloe now were talking ! Bites a bite the funs is in tricking the fish for me .

I like tricking the fish as well. I have been tying jigs and streamers for float fishing for years now and can appreciate the gratitude of catching fish with your own creations. I am just looking to put some of the excitement and challenge of a new style of fishing for me.

RB

Don't start with spey... for the vast majority of waters here in Ontario it's overkill. A good caster can cast an entire fly line with an 8' rod. More line, more problems.

Go to a decent fly shop and buy a decent beginners setup for a couple hun. Go cheap on the reel, it's just there to store line most of the time.

Buy a fly tying kit and tie yer own. Buy as many books as you can get.

Take lessons and/or hire a guide. If money is limited, put most of it here. Getting a good start from a pro makes life soooo much easier.

Don't start with spey... for the vast majority of waters here in Ontario it's overkill. A good caster can cast an entire fly line with an 8' rod. More line, more problems.

Go to a decent fly shop and buy a decent beginners setup for a couple hun. Go cheap on the reel, it's just there to store line most of the time.

Buy a fly tying kit and tie yer own. Buy as many books as you can get.

Take lessons and/or hire a guide. If money is limited, put most of it here. Getting a good start from a pro makes life soooo much easier.

Right on about the lessons Icehut. Money well spent for sure....Im using an 11ft switch rod and can think of many places to cast it without overkill. But, yes I agree some of the smaller tribs to the east would be useless...tying the flys is just fun and relaxing for me, kind of nice to learn, be creative and catch fish with something you tied is great. For me, I fish Walkerton, Paisley, Saugeen, Niagara, Credit, Grand, and many NY tribs all of them you can use a spey rod no problem. Im not the guy fishing elbow to elbow, so I might not be fishing the crowd up tight to Dennys Dam.....but there is plenty of Water if you know where to go.

Archived