Kayak Musky

Backwoods

I just picked up a kayak from basspro. The ascend fs10 fishing Yak. Been out in it a few times and love it. I have a boat also but there is something to be said about Yak fishin. I am hoping to go to the upper niagara to try my luck for some musky. I know where to go in a boat however does anyone know where I could fish from my kayak on the upper and have a shot at some musky without travelling too far. All help would be appreciated.

The upper can be tough in a kayak. Really hard to controlyour drift, then there is the problem of having to paddle back upstream when you're done. I've almost given up on it completely and stuck to still water.

dont get me wrong, it's do-able. I just started to get really annoyed with it. I'd see some good looking water, try to drop a lure and by the time it was deep enough, I'd be 20 feet downstream. Ive never caught a big musky from my kayak though and I'd be interested to give it a shot. If you get into them, let me know, I'd love to join you

Try putting in past the ruins on the Lake Erie shoreline. I've seen the yaks around there. This is far enough away from the pull of the Niagara River current. Point Abino Bay just past Crystal Beach would also be a good area. Watch the weather for light winds and calm lake conditions. Toss tubes and X-Raps around the rocks and you'll pick up some nice smallies and the odd walleye. Muskies seem to turn up more in later in the fall when they're putting the feed bag on.

fishing for musky in a kayak is fun.

hooking a musky in a kayak is entertaining.

actually landing and releasing a musky is a kayak is an adventure not for the faint of heart.

been there - done that.

unless you are ready for a good workout keep your yak outta the Niagara, and where the muskie are its too dangerous with the current, even at its slowest spots it fast, if your gunna yak in the upper its best, as its usually best to do it with a freind. bring two cars park them a few miles apart and drift from one to the other, unlees you are really brave and talented and can figure out the back current at the nickols launch, you can't do this middle of the day, too busy however early and late when its not busy the current actually flows backwards there, as far as I know Muskie hang out there. what you do is can work out from the launch far enough to go down stream then when you get to the old bakery area come in closer to shore and the back current will bring you back to the launch, just don't fall out!

Thanks guys. Maybe ill just bring my boat. I just want to catch a musky while in my Yak and the niagara is the only place around here that I know has a large consentration of musky. Depending on water I might still hit it tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers.

Thanks guys. Maybe ill just bring my boat. I just want to catch a musky while in my Yak and the niagara is the only place around here that I know has a large consentration of musky. Depending on water I might still hit it tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers.

if your looking for muskies in your yak, then make a day trip of the kawartha lakes in the fall, no currents to worry about and a good muskie fishery,

You can try the dufferin island big pond. Havn't fished there for a couple of years but caught a ski or 3 there before

Archived