Fall Trip - Where To?

Tom S

I still need to give my father his Father's Day gift - I know, I'm a bad son. We want to do a fishing trip with my father and brothers, probably a day trip. We're all located around the Hammer, and probably don't want to go much farther north than the Gravenhurst/Port Severn area. So, what do you recommend? I'd like to see if we can get some bass and some 'eyes.

Some possible destinations:

Gloucester Pool -> we vacation here every summer, did pretty good this past year with pike and bass. Have not found the 'eyes yet.

Little Lake -> same area, have not fished

Honey Harbour -> little daunting for a day trip. Understand there are lots of hazards and its easy to get lost

Lake Simcoe -> big lake, any areas in particular to start?

Sparrow Lake -> never had much luck during the week I spent cottaging

Couchiching -> have not fished

Scugog? Pigeon? Buckhorn?

I'm not looking for secret spots, I just need to figure out a body of water that we should be able to connect with some fish on during a day trip.

-Tom

Couchiching is good for large mouth bass....some big pike as well. If you dont have any luck there...then you can slide over to Rama and try your luck....lol. Really though its a nice lake and never gets too rough to boat in. Or you could buy a ny day license and go fish ny tribs for steel.

Sure, but if you know how to fish the weeds and edges, it can be really good.

I'm just telling him how the lake it right now. Because I've fished there about 5 times this year. Pls don't assume I don't know how to fish, based on a condition report (based on first hand experience) of a lake he mentioned:)

I would hit simcoe for smallies but that wont help you with the Eye's(I know there are some in there).Also might want to throw Quinte in the mix?

Burleigh Falls (Stoney Lake) has a little bit of everything. Never fished it this late in the year but I have had some success with them "eyes". Also Buckhorn is 10 mins away if that.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I wanted to update everyone on our trip. We ended up staying the night in Midland and fishing Gloucester Pool. It's home water and we felt comfortable fishing there. Bass were not as active as in the summer, but the pike were hitting.

Couple highlights:

-the hotel -> Midland Inn and Suites. Great place, good price, and a great hot breakfast was included with the meal

-the rain stopping when we got to the lake, and starting again as we loaded the boat back onto the trailer

-catching a decent smallmouth on a jig I had tied

-hooking 3 pike within a couple minutes of eachother. Best one was at least 30" (didn't have a tape or scale with us)

Lower Buckhorn is a good lake for muskies and bass. I don't have too much luck for walleyes because I'm chucking bucktails 90% of the time. Definetly hard to beat the Niagara area this time of year when the fall runs start.

Archived