Spoons

captainplanet

Hi folks, its fall and the season of the spoon. Just curious what your favorite makes and patterns are?

I'll vote for Daredevles in classic red/white strip, five of diamonds for pike. Nickel, brass and hammered blue/nickel for trout big and small and salmon.

Cleos are a close second in nickel/blue, gold/purple for the trout and salmon, hammered nickel green and chartreuse for Mr. Pike.

5 of diamonds without doubt a pike favorite, Blue/silver cleo, also same one with the squid tail. Glow Cleos in chartruse and orange. For lake trolling there is tons...but for casting I stick to just a few.

what glo paint you use ive been looking at some but not sure what to get

[ I was looking in to DIY glow painting as well. Hoping to get some ideas about "what brand" and "how"..]

My go to spoon for pier salmon fishing; little cleo blue/nickel hammered day time, moonshine 3/4 any green glow in the night time.

I tried a few brands & they just don't Glow as much or hold up against chiping & peeling.I have tried the bake on one's which were a little more durable but too thick it affected the action & weight of the lures too much.The one's kicking around local bait shop's already to go are much better & approx. 10 lures for $25(just restocked today).

im going to try those moonshines they glow amazing

I could only find 3/4 size at sail store, seems like hard to find 5/8 and 1oz sizes. can you please let me know if you find them at your area stores, I was planning to drive towards west up coming weekend,

for good glow paint try Luring making dot com. An Ontario company they sell a wide range of stuff from terminal tackle (hooks and swivels) to DIY spoon blanks, sinker, spinner baits and cannon balls molds.

I tried a few brands & they just don't Glow as much or hold up against chiping & peeling.I have tried the bake on one's which were a little more durable but too thick it affected the action & weight of the lures too much.The one's kicking around local bait shop's already to go are much better & approx. 10 lures for $25(just restocked today).

Super Glow Heat'N'Dip from Luremaking.Com.

No need to mess around with colours, just the straight up glow white.

It takes some practice to get a good coat on without caking the stuff on 1/8" thick...either a squeeze bulb to "puff" powder onto the spoon or using a fine sieve to sift powder paint on like icing sugar.

I've got a DIY post around somewhere showing the whole process.

Or you can mix powder paint in a clear coating and paint it on with a brush. Clear urethane will last for years & dozens & dozens of fish without chipping.

The big plus of painting your own is that you can turn any spoon you want into a salmon slaughtering beast. Pete's Spoons are the best bargain out there, but the hooks aren't the greatest and the blanks are just stamped stainless. I prefer brass spoons like Len Thompson's & K.O. Wobblers. I am a spoon whore...I'll scour bargain bins all season collecting spoons on sale and paint them up in the Fall.

When you fish a spoon in the whirlpool do you put a weight on or just use a heavy spoon? I have never really fished sppons!

3/4 oz and huff it out as far as you can. Count 10 steamboats and retrieve slowly with the rod tip down. If you hit bottom, tip up, then return to slow retrieve with tip down.

Bigger the spoon shorter the wait to begin your retrieve , vice versa for smaller. I use no spoon smaller than 1/2 oz. even with that the current will take you away from your landing zones.

I saw some moonshine spoons at the store. They're supposed to be the best and longest glowing spoon out there. But I'm not spending 8.99 for a spoon that is going to get snagged and lost when i can buy 2 for that price. they do have some nice looking patterns that make me want to buy one or two but I'm gonna loose it sooner or later

I saw some moonshine spoons at the store. They're supposed to be the best and longest glowing spoon out there. But I'm not spending 8.99 for a spoon that is going to get snagged and lost when i can buy 2 for that price. they do have some nice looking patterns that make me want to buy one or two but I'm gonna loose it sooner or later

I have a few moonshine spoons, the glow really does last forever. I have a green pattern glow spoon, and a blue glow spoon with reflective patterned tape, they are a bit light, but a nice spoon and worth the money

3/4 oz and huff it out as far as you can. Count 10 steamboats and retrieve slowly with the rod tip down. If you hit bottom, tip up, then return to slow retrieve with tip down.

Bigger the spoon shorter the wait to begin your retrieve , vice versa for smaller. I use no spoon smaller than 1/2 oz. even with that the current will take you away from your landing zones.

Thanks! So no weight, just the spoon?

Archived