Fishing The Soo

manutd_jeeves

Hey guys, one of my best friends and I are going to Sault Sainte Marie to fish the St Mary's next week. Anybody know of decent pools near the rapids? Plan on flyfishing, using spinning rods and may bring my centre pin. Anybody know of effective methods and lures?

it depends if the gates are open still or not, they should finally be closed, but there are a few good spots on the inside of the dyke at the rapids, right infront of the main pathway there is some nice pools as well as to the left side of that, those pools produce normally, on the other side of the dyke its a little different, the fish should be stacked in there if the waters down, so anyhere you really fish should produce, i fished it with small spinners and got a nice chinny, floating small pink jigs and single egg flies will get you pinks, as well as bottom bouncing stone flies. i cant help you out much with the fly fishing, but i know a lot of guys do the indicator and nymph presentation there. i reccomend you go to trading post on great northern road and talk to borris, he will be able to tell you whats hot that week and might even be able to point you to a few holes, if you have some extra time you should also head up to harmoney river, if the steel have started there then that would be a great place to pin, just drive up the highway 17 and youl see it right after harmoney beach, you can drive up the right side of it, bush wack abit and there is some pools that you just dream of, you can also fish chippawa river, its about 50 miles up the highway. you can get rainbows, chinooks, whitefish and pinks all close to the falls, i can literally make a map of where each species sits if youd like, im jealous though, i miss the fishing in the soo already and iv only been gone a month

it depends if the gates are open still or not, they should finally be closed, but there are a few good spots on the inside of the dyke at the rapids, right infront of the main pathway there is some nice pools as well as to the left side of that, those pools produce normally, on the other side of the dyke its a little different, the fish should be stacked in there if the waters down, so anyhere you really fish should produce, i fished it with small spinners and got a nice chinny, floating small pink jigs and single egg flies will get you pinks, as well as bottom bouncing stone flies. i cant help you out much with the fly fishing, but i know a lot of guys do the indicator and nymph presentation there. i reccomend you go to trading post on great northern road and talk to borris, he will be able to tell you whats hot that week and might even be able to point you to a few holes, if you have some extra time you should also head up to harmoney river, if the steel have started there then that would be a great place to pin, just drive up the highway 17 and youl see it right after harmoney beach, you can drive up the right side of it, bush wack abit and there is some pools that you just dream of, you can also fish chippawa river, its about 50 miles up the highway. you can get rainbows, chinooks, whitefish and pinks all close to the falls, i can literally make a map of where each species sits if youd like, im jealous though, i miss the fishing in the soo already and iv only been gone a month

Appreciate the feedback man! Now are season closed there for anything at all? Or are browns, steel, river dog chinnys and pinks still around and permitted to be fished for? I will for sure look into that trading post and ask for borris. What kind of success rate should we expect over a three day trip?

i would look into the regs just to be sure, i think its zone 10, i think the regs there are pretty good for fishing though, i know the small rivers open a bit late, but i wanna say i think they are open till the end of the year, but one again, look at the regs just to save your skin,. i wouldnt hold your breath on a brown, but rainbows, brookies, chinooks pinks and even pinooks are there in abundence, on a good day you can hook into a ton of fish, if targeting pinks iv been told its not uncommon for 20 fish days. i think you guys should do really well, i abit late for the chinnys, they wont be fresh, but you can still get dark ones no problem, watch out about the garden river though, its a native reserve and you will be kicked out and possibly fined, i hear the root river which is right beside the trading post gets salmon, but i wouldnt spend to much time fishing there.

if youl be going into the rapids blind, i would reccomend felt sole waders, as well as some form of wading staff, the rocks there are like the niagara, super slippery and unforgiving if you take a bad step. so be carefull with that,

i would look into the regs just to be sure, i think its zone 10, i think the regs there are pretty good for fishing though, i know the small rivers open a bit late, but i wanna say i think they are open till the end of the year, but one again, look at the regs just to save your skin,. i wouldnt hold your breath on a brown, but rainbows, brookies, chinooks pinks and even pinooks are there in abundence, on a good day you can hook into a ton of fish, if targeting pinks iv been told its not uncommon for 20 fish days. i think you guys should do really well, i abit late for the chinnys, they wont be fresh, but you can still get dark ones no problem, watch out about the garden river though, its a native reserve and you will be kicked out and possibly fined, i hear the root river which is right beside the trading post gets salmon, but i wouldnt spend to much time fishing there.

if youl be going into the rapids blind, i would reccomend felt sole waders, as well as some form of wading staff, the rocks there are like the niagara, super slippery and unforgiving if you take a bad step. so be carefull with that,

Wow... Encouraging to hear. My friend and I would be thrilled with a fish each! Any species you mentioned. Plan on bringing the pins for sure, and will give the spinners a try, Mepps you say? Getting more excited by the day. Hoping to run into some steel as well! A pink salmon would be a thrill for me!!!

oh yeah, the fishing there is second to none, but i warn you, once you go there, you wont want to come back. and you guys should have no problem getting a fish each per day, and any spinner should produce, i used a smaller one that was pretty heavy, tossed it across pools and picked up a few fish, some lighter cleos should be good aswell, same with flutter spoons,, you should be able to get steel, they will be in there no doubt, as for pinks, i hear they are just a blast on the lighter gear, i watched a few videos of guys fishing some other rivers in the area with ultra lights and having a blast, its funny though the locals kind of laugh when they hear your going for pinks wondering why the heck you want to target them, its actually funny. you better take pics and post a report when you guys get back

oh yeah, the fishing there is second to none, but i warn you, once you go there, you wont want to come back. and you guys should have no problem getting a fish each per day, and any spinner should produce, i used a smaller one that was pretty heavy, tossed it across pools and picked up a few fish, some lighter cleos should be good aswell, same with flutter spoons,, you should be able to get steel, they will be in there no doubt, as for pinks, i hear they are just a blast on the lighter gear, i watched a few videos of guys fishing some other rivers in the area with ultra lights and having a blast, its funny though the locals kind of laugh when they hear your going for pinks wondering why the heck you want to target them, its actually funny. you better take pics and post a report when you guys get back

Oh I will be posting plenty. Unfortunately my trip to nova scotia produced only brookies and no atlantics, or exotic species. I hope here to run into a few different species, and I thank you very much for the information. Like I said, if you told us we could get a fish a day if equipped right, wed be satisfied. Obviously hoping for more haha, but I would be ecstatic with a skunkless trip. Cheers for the info man, and we will buy the tackle you mentioned. PM me sometime and we can go Pinning together, I am new to it all.

sounds good brother, you might even get a sought after atlantic if your lucky, google "st.marys fish cam" and click on the first link, there is a live feed right from the river, it usually shows what species are making there way upstream in the video,

I will also agree with mepps spinners on the St Marry's when I lived there for schoolie thats all I would throw, and I got fish every night out, the only thing different is I would back bounce kwickfish off the dam, the thing is I don't know about access to the dam now, we would fish off the dam and made a net out of bicycle rim with rope and lower it down to net our fish hahahha, not sure if you can still fish the dam, also we made a rope ladder and would walk out on the railway bridge and crawl are asses down to the imbutments not sure if that is legal now or then hahhahah. It was all part of college, anyway it shouldn,t be to hard to find a sweet fish'in spot , ask around and be cool, if your cool with people there cool with you, don't forget there is some sweet walleye that bite right on the banks there at night, big ass cranks/ Rapalas work good.

If I was going back up there I would make a trip north to the Chippawa, sweetest trib I fished up there and in fact I would spend my week fishing it, from the highway 17 down there is sweet runs and pools the closer you bushwack to the lake the better.I always fished the St Marry's after schoolie but the Chppawa was my go to spot, sweet North shore trib with lots of sweet wild steelies to play with, the fish are not huge but 5-8lb of the most crazy steel you'll latch on to.If your up there and you want to make a day of expoloring head for a trip to the Chippawa even if you don't bushwack down to the mouth you will be happy just fishing the runs close to the highway.It's about 45min - 1hr north on 17, it's a nice little drive from SSM, the scenery is worth the trip

chippawa is still as kick ass as you remember, there are trails on one side, and its just beauty. fantastic spot no matter where you fish it. the fish fight great for the size

as for fishing the dam, there is a fence up now preventing it after people have died fall, least thats the story, but you can still fish both sides of it and the fishing there is still good though,

Nice Jordon......my next question is why are you here???????sorry for hijacking the thread, but dude your young ,,,don't make the same mistake I made , Grab a nice girl move back to the soo,,,, if you like alittle

of city life, and enjoy the north on your doorstep hahahhah, I don't mean to seam like a drag but moving home from the soo was the worst thing I ever done my friend. It was the nicest life I had, trust me there is such a sweet life up there, I'm 52 and I still miss and regret leaving that world so ya you are still a kid in my eyes, but you know what you want, hey dude if I meet you down at Port D drifting trout don't be alarmed if I bash you for leaving gods country....it may seem sweet down here on the internet but it's gods country up there

oh i believe you, i miss it more then ever, but financially i couldnt handle living up there on my own much longer, right now the plan is to work for a bit, save up some cash and either try out canmore alberta with my sister, or head back to the soo just to live,

on another note, manutd_jeeves if you have a day free from the rapids, try out up near wawa, or goulias river up near searchmont, or even just drive up the highway 17, stop at all the tribs on the side of the highway and fish, if you dont see rainbows then i reccomend bringing an ultra light, super light float, worms, and a hook, you can get them in jones creek, chippawa,ect, they are fun as hell

Well gentleman you have both added to y interest if that was possible! I will for sure make the trek even farther, maybe make a day trip of it. I just want to run into some fish, hopefully hook one on my pin. I can fall in love with a river just as much as the fact of catching anything but it seems I can have both in Chipewa! So I will be cool ask around and see. I am always interssting in fishing port D for browns! Many pics to follow my friends!

Archived