Asian Carp..........there Here.

ChefMick

As long as as they keep the silver and big head out of our waters I believe we can control this as a group. Perhaps a reward system for the capture and live drop off to a scientific laboratory for evaluation will get people angling for these invasive species.

They're here, great we can thank the US for that one. Time to start building Tank boats to protect the anglers from flying carp. Maybe we'll convince the commercial fishing boys to net the carp instead, leave the picks and perch for us.

IMO the US does far more to protect our fishing industry than here in Canada. There people realize the significant dollars spent by us as a group. equipment, lodging fuel, everything contributes to the strenght of the economy.

If our government took the same approach, every watering hole would be filled with fish just so we fisherman had opportunities for us and our kids.

Controling the spread of Asian carp is a huge project. Just look at the traps in place on the Mississippi R. that the Army Corps have in place.

I'm glad they take a proactive approach. It's not like our side of the border would

Controlling the carp would not be an issue if the US didn't decide to use them as a cheap clean up tool. Short sightedness? They are just cleaning up their own original mess. Maybe they'll just introduce a natural predator and throw another curveball into the mix.

Good point Lundtastic

Controlling the carp would not be an issue if the US didn't decide to use them as a cheap clean up tool. Short sightedness?

Good point. I just hope both sides of the fence do what it takes to control the spread. I know we would all hate to see the decimation of our sport

Controlling the carp would not be an issue if the US didn't decide to use them as a cheap clean up tool. Short sightedness? They are just cleaning up their own original mess. Maybe they'll just introduce a natural predator and throw another curveball into the mix.

like introducing salmon and trout into the great lakes? haha :P

So I just watched a Simpsons episode that dealt with invasive species...

Lizards ate all the birds....

Snakes would wipe out the lizards...

Mongoose to wipe out the snakes....

Gorillas to kill the mongooses...

And to kill the Gorillas? The cold of winter...

So we should employ the same style of thinking and we will be rid of all invasive after a few winters... If TV says it will work it has too... right?

( I know it won't work, I wasn't being serious, just throwing it out there as a "HA HA" )

copied this from the Chicago Tribune.

This Canal is the only Natural route into the Great Lakes Watershed.

The Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal will be shut down temporarily to all traffic between Oct. 4 and 8 for construction work on the underwater electronic barriers designed to keep Asian carp from reaching Lake Michigan.

Limited openings during the middle of the day and “some nights” are possible, but the canal will remain closed overnight at least once for “intensive fish sampling,” a coordinating committee of state, local and federal officials announced Thursday.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will install underwater structures to control the spread of electric current in the canal.

The shutdown will occur at a half-mile section of the canal near Romeo Road bridge, in Will County along 135th Street

• 2 weeks later...

No point fighting "invasive species". You cannot stop nature.

It's one invasion after another, every one was forecast to destroy life as we know it, yet we survive... does anybody care about zebra mussels any more?

We need to roll with the punches and put what little money is available into worthwhile projects, like preserving coldwater trout streams.

The only constant is change.

No point fighting "invasive species". You cannot stop nature.

It's one invasion after another, every one was forecast to destroy life as we know it, yet we survive... does anybody care about zebra mussels any more?

We need to roll with the punches and put what little money is available into worthwhile projects, like preserving coldwater trout streams.

The only constant is change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdcQ56OpxNE

not quite a zebra mussel.....realize that there is no other fish in this part of the river system anymore, not to mention the boating hazard.

If these guys take residence in the great lakes sport fishing will change forever. Kiss your salmon and trout goodbye. Perch gone. The only ones whoo have a chance will be pike and muskie since they eat anything that swims.

Also they arent like the common carp. They dont feed on anything, they feed on plankton which the smaller fish need.

They wont bite on ypur bread balls and corn

Archived