Steelheading This Sunday

manutd_jeeves

8 mil beads in frosted white or light orange have been working for a few fish. Good luck !!

8 mil beads in frosted white or light orange have been working for a few fish. Good luck !!

Dave hit the nail on the head. Bring some roe and pink worms. They can be a game changer on a slow day. Run a bead tandem with either. Maybe I will see you boys down there.

il bring those for myself and mund to use, i have a nice little collection of beads and just so happens i have the ones you recommended. and seanook, il be wearing a red snowboard jacket, with baseball cap if the weathers not freezing, if its really cold il be wearing the hat in my display pic

Beads tumble nicely along the bottom and come in a wide variety of colours. Beads also sink well on a longer shot free leader and give better presentation looking more natural. Jensons tend to float up off the bottom too much in the current unless you weight them down...then they dont look as natural. You also cant peg a jenson or run it tandem like you can with a bead. I often run tandem beads but only one hook and usually peg about 1.5 from the hook. 99% of the time hook is right in the corner of the mouth rather than deep in the fish as opposed to a jenson right on the hook. Jensons work also...but beads just seem to work much better.

Beads tumble nicely along the bottom and come in a wide variety of colours. Beads also sink well on a longer shot free leader and give better presentation looking more natural. Jensons tend to float up off the bottom too much in the current unless you weight them down...then they dont look as natural. You also cant peg a jenson or run it tandem like you can with a bead. I often run tandem beads but only one hook and usually peg about 1.5 from the hook. 99% of the time hook is right in the corner of the mouth rather than deep in the fish as opposed to a jenson right on the hook. Jensons work also...but beads just seem to work much better.

Well said about the hook set, I have been using beads exclusively all this season and the last spring. almost all my hooksets were on the outer side of the jaw where hard bone like corner is.

I recently discovered Heavy Beads. "Wow". What a difference. I met a dude on the river a few weeks back. He was from Erie PA. He raved about them. When I decided to leave he followed me back to the parking lot and grabbed me a handful from the box in his truck. Last Saturday I was having issues keeping my setup on bottom. Everything I tried, adjusting and adding weight, changing floats just wasn't working. There was a strong undercurrent in the pool I was fishing and I just couldn't seem to get a proper drift going. Then I remembered the Heavy beads. Threaded one on and immediately noticed the difference........And so did the chrome. Anyone else used them?

Jordan. I will be in green Hodgson waders and a green bubble vest with chest pack. Probably wearing dark frame glasses.

Hey guys thanks for the tips! I plan on bringing everything but the kitchen sink variety wise with me, and jordan is also always prepared too! Hopefully can hook into my first niagara steel or brown! Hope to see you guys out there!

Fished the credit from 730 until 12, friend landed a nice rainbow. I got nothing, but it was his first on the fly which was quote the thrill! Seen one other steelhead caught, and a brown. Other than that, nothing else caught. Was using marabou jigs with various bead colours pegged above.

Fished the credit from 730 until 12, friend landed a nice rainbow. I got nothing, but it was his first on the fly which was quote the thrill! Seen one other steelhead caught, and a brown. Other than that, nothing else caught. Was using marabou jigs with various bead colours pegged above.

It was slow all around I hear. Didn't get he chance to get down there but heard lots of grumbling from my fellow Credit anglers about the slow bite. I think the drastic weather change over the past few days may be the culprit. Thursday, portions were almost frozen over and two days later.......Wide open. I've used jigs and nymphs while pinning sparingly on the credit with little success. I just stick to the beads, roe and worms but that's just me. The bite should be back on in full force this week.

I heard the same things Seanook. Also here much speculation due to the size of the credit, fish are spread out quite a bit. I am beginning to see the value of beads from a presentation standpoint, it hits the gravel nicer than many natural dense eggs. When you say you use worms, are you inferring to pink trout worms, or small dew worms?

I was referring to trout worms specifically although I wouldn't hesitate to use a dew worm. I know a guy who almost exclusively uses the skinny dews and does quite well. Many of us locals have been able to zero in on a few spots that generally hold quite a few fish and if those spots aren't producing we feel it's a pretty good indication of what is going on the rest of the lower river. The bite is back on now and I have been smashin em morning and night. Hope to see you guys down there sometime soon.

Archived