Looks Like Safe Ice Is Here

ChefMick

Looking good Mick thanks for the info , and inspiration ! I wonder if the impact drivers would work better than the drills .......I tried my 14.4 volt drill and saw this big flash ....... :blush:

Looking good Mick thanks for the info , and inspiration ! I wonder if the impact drivers would work better than the drills .......I tried my 14.4 volt drill and saw this big flash ....... :blush:

When you impact thin ice it causes cracks and with your weight you can go through. Break down and buy a power auger Smerch. You won't be sorry.

For sure Mick. Right now everything below Erindale is locked up with ice. Going down with a cinder block and a rope to see if I can do some demolition to free up my spot. My hopes aren't high though. Merry Christmas to you too and everyone else here.

P.S. This post made me itch for fish so bad I booked at Tama Kwa for a weekend in January. Report was over a foot of hard water and increasing daily. Can't wait.

Your going to have fun Sean...say hello to Heather, Joe and Nikko for me !!! I will be up there for family day weekend in Feb. It be fun watching you swing a big block down there bustin up the river..

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o584/seanook/crazycroat.jpg

For some reason I can't upload the image to the actual thread but the crazy old Croatian in the pic is standing on about 2 1/2 inches of ice above a 6 ft hole of water which is moving at a good clip. Me swinging a cinder block (although I'm probably just gonna drop it from the bridge not seen in this pic) and clearing the ice just might save a dumbass. And for those folks who are gonna get all bent out of shape at me for not blurring out the background........Try finding this spot without prior knowledge or a guide. I bet you can't. And if you put the footwork in to find it then you earned it.

Always contact an operator before making the trip out.

Remember this site for contact info and occasionally updated ice info.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201198359476421360459.0004cf306c48e9cbbbf0a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&source=embed&ll=44.454369,-79.344635&spn=0.343093,0.583649&z=10

Unfortunately the map links are still posting last years info. I personally drove Beaverton-Pefferlaw yesterday. A COUPLE Huts are on! only saw about 5 at this location (44.354542,-79.211796) and no further than that. A lot of men are discussing and prepping though (sitting in the driveway in their huts drinking, lol) looks like majority will be out in perch grounds before the new year.

Was out on Cook's yesterday. Took us a bit but we found the Jumbos. Ice was generally about a foot thick with about a six inch snow/ice insulating layer on top due to the ice storm. It made walking a bit difficult at times but nothing too bad. Travelling was sketchy in spots as usual with high traffic areas. Once we got onto the fish it was non stop. We couldn't keep the flags down on our tip ups. I love winter!

Archived