A Few Recent Baits.

rile

WOW......nice professional job Rile !! ......wish I could paint my mounted fish like that ! An air brush would help for sure .......Now I know why you keep catching those big pike ! B)

can one use acrylic based paint and airbrush them? Then seal them with urethane?

I notice your lures are shiny, do you have to add polyurethane to finish the lures? or the paint just turn out shiny after air brushing them with oil based paint.

Takes additional passion to get into this level of lure making.

Yes, i use waTer based airbrush paints called createx. Most lure builders do, easy clean up, no fumes, then i give a few top coats of epoxy called envirotex which is usually used for bar tops. you have to build a lure turner to spin the lures as they dry though so u dont get any drips, each coat takes 24 hrs to harden. i seal the wood with spar urethane prior to priming but have never tried it as a topcoat, the epoxy is much more durable. Since these are maple i use 2" ss steel screws epoxied into the bait, on softer woods i will through wire them but its usually overkill unless u are using something very soft like balsa.

Are you brushing the Envirotex?

I've used it on a few wooden tables (great stuff & easy maintenance), but it goes on pretty thick.

It does cure hard, any drips you miss cleaning before it cures needs a chisel to come off.

Archived