Duck Dog Training In Niagara

Wouldn't you get some good info with detailed videos for training the lab on You Tube ? I knew a few guys who trained their labs themselves and it was amazing to watch these dogs retrieve quail, woodkok , (sp) :rolleyes: , pheasants and ducks . It is time consuming on your own but cheaper .......(treat cookies) lol

Brendan,

Professional training is not cheap. there is positive (treats) and force training (should only be done by someone with experience)

Not sure of you experience level

Don't be in a rush to break him into gun noise start with the basics like smelling a bird wing maybe even retrieve it and just see if your dog has an interest for that 1st. Not all dogs are hunting dogs. For the retrieving part it can be as simple as a wing on a string let the pup chase it or throw the wing in a hallway so the dog has no where to go but hopefully back to you with the wing. Training at this age is very short 15 minutes max no more than twice a day. You also need to concentrate on basic obedience. Sit, Stay and Come would be the start. As your dog progresses in age and ability it will go through the (I FORGOT EVERYTHING I'VE BE TAUGHT) It will seem like you have to retrain, this actually is your dog's brain moving from puppy short term memory to Adult long term memory. if your dog is retrieving even from the young age you now have to get the dog to hand over the prize (usually they are not willing, take the wing in hand (don't play tug of war) use a release command (Give, Drop) if the dog does not; swiftly lift the ear and blow into it, not to soft but not to hard either (this creates unequal pressure and the dog with open it's mouth). some tips if your dog does something wrong, take corrective action but do not call your dog and punish it (it's like someone calling you over and them hitting you, they move and call you again; you'll think twice won't you. Your dog is not different). Keep the training interesting not always the same thing. moving from land training sight and blind retrieves to water for sight and blind retrieves. During training this is when you could start to introduce noise . I have the dog in a heel position (sit and stay) as I throw a bird or dummy some one else will smack 2 blocks of wood together away from where you are (this muffles the sound) and slowly working your way up to dog working under the gun over a few weeks.

Hope this helps

any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with you new joy

Try looking up the Niagara Peninsula Retriever Training Club.

They are local guys who are very good dog trainers.

This club like most clubs will expect you to earn your keep throwing birds etc. but at the same time it opens you up to a world of invaluable knowledge, experience and help.

I train pointing dogs and can offer you some help but I have worked with these guys on clean up days etc. and they are the experts with the retrievers

I've been researching getting a lab, this information has been helpful, I wasn't aware of the retriever club. One of the breeders I've looked into also offers training courses Maktawae Gundogs http://maktawae.angelfire.com/. They're in Brant County, not too too far, but have been a great resource in my decision making process. Last time I spoke with them they offered private and group lessons for gun dog dog training regardless if the dog was from their stock or not.

Goodluck with your pup!

Brendan. The Niagara Peninsula Retriever Training Club has existed for about 60 yrs.

We are a group of amateur trainers that work together year round training our dogs for hunting, Field trials and hunt tests. A lot of our training takes place near Black Horse Corners at Hwy 20 & 58

We put on an annual field trial every spring. The first weekend of May.Dogs from all over North America can be seen competing towards achieving their Field Trial Championship, and qualifying for the National Championships.

We are informal and there is no cost to join us. As Cdn Vizla stated, we help each other to train our dogs, and we try to be on the same page.

The methods and programs we use are time honoured and universal in the community of serious trainers. Our biggest investment is time, and it is big.

We would be happy to have you meet up with us. Any given day there may be as many as six, and fewer out with our dogs.

You can contact me at Labber1@gmail.com

My time lately has been has been very limited, but I can hook you up.

It is important that you get on the right path ASAP. There is far more bad advice out there, than good.

The ideal time to get our advice is before you have selected a litter or kennel to buy from.

Since you already have a pup, we will start from there.

Scott Adams

NPRTCLOGO.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived