Handheld Fishing Gps

fleeter

I've been using a Garmin Etrex for years (as in around six or seven) and it does all I need it to. Small screen, but pretty robust. Features depend on the model, but simple to use one handed which I like. And it's definitely waterproof!

I am also a fan of Navionics on my iPhone and on my iPad. There have been a couple of spots that weren't covered, but I imagine they aren't on any of the GPS units. Navionics feeds map data to a lot of GPS manufacturers.

• 1 month later...

I used a Garmin GPS12 for about the last 10 years. No maps, just relative positions and tracks. You can mark a waypoint and have the unit point you to it out on the lake. I turn it on when I drift and it marks the track the boat takes with a line on the screen so you can go back and do it again. I also use it when I'm going out on a smaller lake at night. I can create the track of my trip across the lake going around all the shoals and islands, then follow the track home in the dark. Makes things much safer. The thing is a durable a anything too.

They probably don't make them without a map any more but I just wanted to say it's not really needed.

The Navionics maps are really good and you get the added bonus of seeing the depth of the lake at any given spot so that's a huge plus.

I just picked up a lowrance h20 with the navionics card, just have to figure out how to work the darn thing. Plus hoping i can use the card in my lowrance fish finder on the boat.

I just bought a Lowrance Elite-5 and it takes the navionics card. The Elite-5 was 299 at BPS and the navionics card with one year of updates was 150 from Radio World (best place for electrics in my opinion).

Archived