Backyard Ponds

Jigz

I have a small backyard pond I dug about 6 years ago. It was a very low budget project. I collected the rocks and dug it with a shovel. The only cost was the liner. In the past few years I havn't really changed it much and have been thinking about adding a small waterfall or a second pond with water flowing (streamesque) from one to the other. I'm just wondering if anybody has any cheap ideas or examples of things you have tried.

Best thing I can say is keep using the pond liner for one. A friend and I were both building our ponds and changing things around for a few years and tried using a few different materials for liners in our "add on " projects like vapour barrier and a rubber kids pool. Both failed within the first year . As far as design, it depends on if you want something fast flowing, slow, something with drop offs, something quiet, something that sounds like a babbling brook? We have a small yard ( town house) and found that while it was nice to listen to the babbling when relaxing after I had put in a small waterfall. It was a little distracting while trying to have conversation with guests. I work in the horticultural field and have seen things done in back yards that are unreal. So ask away if you want. Not sure if my info was any help, but it's something to think about. Oh and one more thing, I have had a couple of clients who did some work with concrete and kicked themselves after due to wanting to change things around again.

Concrete is okay if proper .... have a concrete waterfall in mine ... it was a do it yourself job ... cracked to hell. Pulled it out.wound up using bricks to build it up put liner down and strategically placed rocks to create the waterfall noise

A waterfall or atream is easy to create ... hardest thing is landscaping around it to keep it natural

I have a small backyard pond I dug about 6 years ago. It was a very low budget project. I collected the rocks and dug it with a shovel. The only cost was the liner. In the past few years I havn't really changed it much and have been thinking about adding a small waterfall or a second pond with water flowing (streamesque) from one to the other. I'm just wondering if anybody has any cheap ideas or examples of things you have tried.

Waterfalls are easy. All you need is a piece of liner some rocks and a submersable pump ( one that is made for constant running ) and some hose. Pump will be your only cost.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned the liner. I had collected some big flat rocks and was hoping to align them in a way that I wouldn't lose much water, but I think I'll use the liner regardless. For landscaping I just have groundcover(don't know what it's called, it's a creeper of some sort), grass, bamboo, and willow. In the pond are cattails, lilies, and an iris.

You can also buy a waterfall kit which is a container to hold water. It has a lip which sticks out so that when it fills up the water runs out over the lip and falls into the pond making a water fall as high as you want or have it run over rocks into the pond. If you need a piece if liner I'm sure that I have some. Good luck

Archived