Boilies ?

Anyone use boilies for carp, if so do you guys make your own or just buy store bought. Ive used booth and had a little success I find that the bullheads at charles daley like them though

Early spring use flavoured corn. Use flavoured corn year around. But ill switch it up to boilies around this time of year. Strawberry has been good to me. Sometimes depends on what you are baiting.your area with too.

Ok nice, thanks for the tips. Probably going to do a simple set up with a hair rig tipped with a split boilie to get that sent all over the place. Then leading to a swivel connected to my main line will some kind of pack bait. Gotta try new things this year.

I have not used a boilie in a long long time. They are convenient but I believe there are better baits. In the spring canned corn or prepared maize ( feed corn) work great. The boilie is favoured in European waters because it will help keep bream off the line. Bream are like a small silver coloured carp that only get to about 5 lbs. They are considered a nuisance by carp anglers over there. We don't have to worry about them here. Boilies are not considered an instant bait. If carp don't know they are food it may take a long time for carp to accept them as food. I believe that carp are caught here on boilies because the carp pick them up out of curiosity.

Ok that makes sense. I went to europe last year for a visit to my family and picked up a bunch of boilies, artificial corn, rod holders and a bunch of other stuff. Back over there carp are like gods they worship them lol. Bullheads are like bream they'll eat your your boilie, your corn, and everything else.

I hardly ever fish boilies and when I have, I honestly haven't have much luck with them. Like Lorne, canned corn and maize works so darn well for me that I seldom stray. I occassionally use some of the flavoured corn that looks interesting or flavoured pop ups, but that's about it.

I went carping at Thorold yesterday , using corn & corn puffs with bread pack bait ......kept getting a few nibbles but nothing to show for it . I got out the dewies & picked up a 12" cat in minutes , then a small perch & white perch .....slow day . So , today , I went to Jordan for carp ....using the bread pack bait & cor/ puffed corn . I kept getting very light taps , barely bending the light tip of my 10' rod . When it bent about 2" I set the hook & thought I hooked a small cat etc......but then it took off & peeled out 50' of line , & fought hard for another 10 min. It was my 1st carp of the season ....what a blast ! I used my undersized trout net & managed to weight it in the net by attaching my camera strap on each side of the net . I noticed it was blind in one eye ....2nd blind one in under a year . I fished with both corn & puffed corn & bread pack bait for another 2 hrs....getting several of those little taps same as the way the carp , but couldn't catch them . I am not too sure those slow rod bender bites are carp . I will have to give it another go . I was using a slip egg sinker about 3/4 oz ......maybe too heavy in still water only 2'-3' deep .

SAM_4145.JPG

weighed on a digi scale at 15.5 lbs

Water was pretty warm around welland and saw carp jumping gracefully, in shallower water maybe around 3 to 4 feet But DIDNT BRING THE DARN CORN !!! Still got a bunch of cats and some sheephead though .

Archived