More Fish Die Off At Presque Island, Erie Pa

fishfight

I was at Cleveland and Erie for a short 3 days mini vacation with my wife and witness so many dead Alewife and gizzard Shad fish on shore at Presque Island Bay at Erie, PA. I also went through the Free small museum to understand more about this natural fish die off occurrence which I learned happens every year, and some significant interesting historical information on the Park. Biggest reason for die off was lack of oxygen from the water. Due to the shape of the Island, it is probably a good fishing place, there are 2 free boat launches at this Island. Here is a link to this Island website http://www.presqueisle.org/

IMG_0005_zps13d32c34.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsd7583110.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsccc8221f.jpg

One of my instinct was to get some that were still alive so I could make good cut up bait for Channel cats fishing, then my conscience tells me of contacting potential Ecoli bacteria if I touch them. So I was disappointed with my findings., and was sad to witness thousand of fish dead on shore for miles away.

Some Erie news on the fish die off.

http://yamkin.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/large-amount-of-dead-fish-washing-ashore-in-presque-isle-bay-pennsylvania-america/

Well that's why salmon were stocked in the lakes, to eat the buggers before they became winter kill!

You probably weren't in the country at the time, but I remember piles of dead alewife stacked on beaches 3' high and stretching for miles every Spring.

Having salmon to fish was a happy byproduct.

I have noticed a lot more winter kill alewife on the beaches this season than I have in awhile.

They said the odour is very bad .....why don't they clean it up and bury them ? New York State is an example known for keeping their parks very clean . Letting them rot may cause animals or birds to get sick .

Archived