Local Cats

Bryan

Went out this past weekend looking to target and catch Carp, couldn't get a sniff from any Carp but managed to land these.

My new PB for Catfish :)

Can anyone help me with identifying the type of these Catfish. Also I didn't have a scale and I wish I knew how much they weighed, any guesses?
I think the 1st one was about 20lbs, the second was about 15lbs, and the third about 3lbs...
Caught using Corn, and worms on a carp rig.

All in all it was a good day

DSCN0708_zpsb8e2e009.jpg

DSCN0696_zpsddba8bc8.jpg

DSCN0712_zpsf9f0e8a8.jpg

Beauty fish...get those whimpy gloves off...lol.

Looks like 2 Channels and a Bullhead. I think the color difference has to do with when they moved in from the deeper lake (maybe I'm wrong?) Great catch...that is a hot spot for them now. I recommend trying for them in a Kayak...its a blast.

Nice cats man, to tell the difference between a channel catfish and a bullhead simply look at the tail fin a channels will be more pointed, while a bullheads will be rounded and less of a "v" shaped. All in all great cats!

Those Catfish are damn slippery! :)

It was the first time I've ever caught a fish of that size, I had no idea how to hold or handle it.. I was freaking out, I was so happy.. I didn't want to have any problems so I put the gloves on.. But now that I have done it once, I won't need the gloves next time :)

It was amazing the force those things have when they decide to wiggle while your holding them.. one of them gave me a good slap in the face :)

DSCN0697_zps073c1d40.jpg

I use the gloves in my kayak, they help grip them (especially the larger ones). It's hard enough to wrangle them into the kayak sometimes. Maybe just take the gloves off for the photos lol.

just curious if anyone has tried eating any of these cats out of the harbour?[/quot

Same here use to eat lots of cats when I was younger with my grandfather never thought nothing of it they r very tasty just as good as walleye to me anyway now I'm older every where I fish like wellend river and the grand for cats not sure if I want to eat them anyone else eat them and not die lol

Nice going Bryan ! Lots of big cats , carp and drum in there . The cats will hit crank baits right on bottom as well . As far as eating them , I would only eat small channel cats since the larger they are , the more contaminated they become . Two or three pounders would be safer eating and very good Cajun style .

That first ones an absolute beast. Could probably noodle for those....lol

Archived