Raven Rpx

chromecrazy

Hello all!

New to the forum here and looking for a few opinions! Wondering if anyone has an 11'6" raven RPX float rod! how do you like it? how is the action? looking to buy the blank for a new custom build for bottom bouncing!

-thanks!

I have to dissagree with that rule. I have a quantum pro tour float rod 13'. Its a stiffer rod and I used it woth my spinning reel at queenston and it handled great. Cast a mile, feel absolutely everything and I was still able to set the hook just fine. I would say the one major tuing to look out for is if it has to soft of a backbone.

I'm no fan of Raven blanks but I do wish those who have never tried a custom built balanced rod really don't know the difference ! That's a fact. The difference is night and day ! You can't compare a factory rod to a well made custom Try one and learn. I built many ravens in the past and I never tried the RPX yet For lightness and sensitivity custom can't and will not be beat

A custom rod is no more sensitive than a factory rod, provided the blanks are similar. A custom can be more comfortable and well balanced but sensitivity will not improve - only higher quality graphite will do that.

If I were to build an economical and fairly sensitive rod I would use a mudhole MHX blank and it would be somewhere around 9'. They r pretty sensitive for the price. But if I wanted the most sensitive rod I would make it am NRX, GLX or at he very least IMX.

i transformed an 11' raven IM6 "float" rod into a bottom bouncing rod and it works amazing! fast action. Some would find it heavy but i still have many years before a rod will fatigue me. I agree with cliff about custom rods, as i have had the chance to test a factory built rod vs a custom for more than just hear and there fishing trips. I am always looking for other suggestions for blanks that are 10'6" to 11'6" for the rivers i like to fish i find anything shorter just doesn't cut it. although i have to disagree about the Loomis rods that were mentioned, i feel that shimano is starting to cheap'n up there rods will still maintaining a premium price tag. thanks all for the imput!

My input was based on 32 years in business as a custom builder. I Also field tested many factory built rod and I was a steelhead guild for a few years so my opinion was based on my experience only

A custom rod is everything...."Custom". My favorite all round steelhead rod is the GLX 1562-2....problem is its not a custom rod. The handle on the GLX sucks, the guides are also terrible and no reel seat. Like Cliff says, its night and day with a good custom rod. You have a balanced rod that's not tip/butt heavy, you can opt for some quality guides, you have a handle that suits your hands, and a reel seat instead of tape to hold your reel in place. The way I look at it is, my favorite past time is fishing....the same way you wont see a regular golfer playing for cheap clubs, I like to go with the best I can afford when it comes to my fishing gear. Want a nice custom...pm Cliff, you wont be disappointed....and his thread work is pretty flashy too...lol....plug plug. :bravo:

That would be one expensive bottom bouncer. I considered using that blank to build myself a spiral wrap baitcast float rod but ended up just doing a rebuild on a 4pc shimano clarus to do the job as I only need the baitcast when it's too cold to use the float reel. Try the Rainshadow XST line they make some very nice blanks at reasonable price and have the biggest lineup for blanks

Okay I guess a well balanced custom rod will feel better and I guess have more feel than a factory rod as it is suited to you and carefully set up. The reel seat and handle set up can really help. Having said that - if it is a cheap blank then it's kinda like putting lipstick on a pig.

I meant no offense cp. just giving my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I have tied quite a few custom rods, although far less than you, and I fish a fair bit.

I do agree that the Loomis brand has been greatly cheapened. My 25 year old Loomis 13' is crazy sensitive, although it is really a float rod.

I tied a few Mudhole MHX blanks up for dropshot rods and they are pretty nice for the money if cost is a factor.

My suggestion of a shorter rod was based on am assumption that it was a boat rod.

Landry

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but given there isn't much written about the RPX anywhere on the web, might be worth reviving.  The other day I got the Raven RPX 11'6'' spiral wrap baitcaster rod.  My first impressions (without trying it yet on water) are that it's light overall, the tip is quite soft, but there's an increasing power potential as it progresses towards the handle.  The top 4 guides are advertised as "REC recoil" guides supposedly eliminating icing up, but we'll see about that.   They look something like this:

rec-recoil-snake-guide.jpg

We'll see how the rod performs on the water in the next few days.  I'll be primarily using it for drifting floats, but at some point I may switch to another reel with non-floating line and cast some spoons/qwikfish/crankbaits.

Got to try the rod today.  2 for 3.  The one lost was operator's error.  The 2 landed were a 26 female (released) and a much smaller male, which I kept for dinner.  Both fish landed by myself with no waders and no net.  It could be that this is my first higher end rod and I've never used a good rod before, but all I can say is wow!  The rod not only felt much better, but fighting fish---I don't think I would've landed these two fish with my previous rod.  This rod is both powerful and forgiving.  There was minimal icing-up too, easily shaken off by dipping in the water every 10 or so casts.  Another vast improvement over my previous (Shimano Clarus 10ft baitcaster).  The spiral wrap was not noticeable at all in terms of castability.  I even think it helps shed the water off the line even more, because I never got ice to form at the baitcaster eye, something which was happening very often at warmer temps with my previous rod before.  I love this rod!  I can only imagine how good a custom rod could be, but I'll know one day.  I'm a believer!

• 2 months later...

I actually used the recoil double foot guides on the original rpx I tied, it was an amazing rod! Unfortunately It was retired early :( however the boys at anglers international sent out a brand new twig as a replacement as it was covered under warranty! Tomorrow I will be putting the epoxy on the new rpx. The only difference from the 2 rods will be the guides. As good as the recoil guides are, I reclaimed a set of pucci wire guides and decided to use them instead. My father built the exact same rod and says it's the closets thing he's ever used to his favourite Loomis GL3 rod. Very excited to put the finishing touches on and get it bent! Here's a pic of the original. I truly recommend this blank to anyone considering an 11'6" rod.

10384829_10152255897757257_8172236933148175280_n.jpg

Archived