Safety First, Let People Know Where You Go..

Bryan

So I took the day off work for my birthday yesterday and went fishing. Just another normal day, same old familiar spot (Pirate Ship near Jordan). Didn't catch anything, but had a nice day casting lures and enjoying the sun. But my adventure hadn't started yet.

At about 2pm I had enough of the sun and I was hungry for an A&W hamburger so I decided to leave... I started to walk along the rocks that barricade the Marina back to the shore, once I got to the shore I went to step off the last rock and fell. It was a real nasty fall, twisted my ankle, fell about 3-4 feet down onto other big rocks and hit my tail bone so hard I saw white...

The fall really messed me up, I thought I broke my ankle and broke my butt pretty good. Unfortunately I was more concerned that someone had seen me fall or if anybody was coming down the path, I was really embarrassed that I had fallen down that I got myself up quickly and started walking for my car. That's when the trouble started, only after taking a few steps I started feeling really dizzy and sick to my stomach, my legs also started to give a little. My body was really telling me to stop and I was starting to get scared that I had hurt myself more than originally thought. I then gave in and decided I couldn't walk back to my car just yet, so I sat down near the water to rest. I never felt so weird in my life, and I started to get scared, luckily I knew I had my cell phone with me and I was going to call for help. That's the last thing I remember.

Next thing I remember is waking up lying on the ground. I must have passed out. I looked at my watch and noticed that it was now 3pm. CRAP! I passed out for almost an hour. But after lying there passed out for an hour I did feel better, I got up, checked myself over to see if anything was actually broken, luckily nothing really hurt bad enough to be broken. I started to make my way back to my car. Once I got to my car I relaxed and hydrated, waited about another full hour before driving home.

I was very lucky yesterday... but I did some stupid things that could have caused me some serious problems...

1. I never told anyone where or when I was going fishing for the day

2. I really didn't pay attention, or take my time, when I was walking along the rocks

3. Didn't really pay attention to how much time I was in the sun or how much I was drinking water. (Dehydration might have played a part in this)

Anyways, that's my adventure yesterday, I wanted to share to make others aware that things can go wrong quickly, be safe, aware, prepared, and let people know where and when you go out.

Does anyone have any stories like this?

So I took the day off work for my birthday yesterday and went fishing. Just another normal day, same old familiar spot (Pirate Ship near Jordan). Didn't catch anything, but had a nice day casting lures and enjoying the sun. But my adventure hadn't started yet.

At about 2pm I had enough of the sun and I was hungry for an A&W hamburger so I decided to leave... I started to walk along the rocks that barricade the Marina back to the shore, once I got to the shore I went to step off the last rock and fell. It was a real nasty fall, twisted my ankle, fell about 3-4 feet down onto other big rocks and hit my tail bone so hard I saw white...

The fall really messed me up, I thought I broke my ankle and broke my butt pretty good. Unfortunately I was more concerned that someone had seen me fall or if anybody was coming down the path, I was really embarrassed that I had fallen down that I got myself up quickly and started walking for my car. That's when the trouble started, only after taking a few steps I started feeling really dizzy and sick to my stomach, my legs also started to give a little. My body was really telling me to stop and I was starting to get scared that I had hurt myself more than originally thought. I then gave in and decided I couldn't walk back to my car just yet, so I sat down near the water to rest. I never felt so weird in my life, and I started to get scared, luckily I knew I had my cell phone with me and I was going to call for help. That's the last thing I remember.

Next thing I remember is waking up lying on the ground. I must have passed out. I looked at my watch and noticed that it was now 3pm. CRAP! I passed out for almost an hour. But after lying there passed out for an hour I did feel better, I got up, checked myself over to see if anything was actually broken, luckily nothing really hurt bad enough to be broken. I started to make my way back to my car. Once I got to my car I relaxed and hydrated, waited about another full hour before driving home.

I was very lucky yesterday... but I did some stupid things that could have caused me some serious problems...

1. I never told anyone where or when I was going fishing for the day

2. I really didn't pay attention, or take my time, when I was walking along the rocks

3. Didn't really pay attention to how much time I was in the sun or how much I was drinking water. (Dehydration might have played a part in this)

Anyways, that's my adventure yesterday, I wanted to share to make others aware that things can go wrong quickly, be safe, aware, prepared, and let people know where and when you go out.

Does anyone have any stories like this?

Wow that definitely was a scary experience. I am glad to hear you are okay. Thanks for sharing that with us and hopefully we can all learn how impotrtant it is to let someone know where we are going and how long we plan to be gone.

Well

did u happen to hit your head? I know those are signs of a concusion.

Well that thought did cross my mind, but after carefully checking and feeling for a sore spot or lump, I couldn't find one. I really think it was a reaction from the sun (slightly dehydrated) and the Pain and Shock from the fall..

Lucky you didn't fall in the water. I think that it would be in your best interest to go and get checked out. There is a reason you passed out and it could be something not related to the fall or dehydration.

Yes i understand what you mean Bryan about telling someone where you are going to be

its a long story but i have a condition called Syncope it's a condition where you do black out

i was taking my dogs for a walk back in the bush but didn't let any one know where i was going

i went out there about 3:00 and i was getting some warning signs then blacked out i had woke

up to my dogs licking my face and it was already dark had my wife son dad were looking for me they

were just about to call for help and i showed up i let my wife know were i am at all times now

im glad that you are doing ok

Glad your okay bud. Gotta be careful there for sure. And I agree maybe it would be a good idea to get a once over from the doc.

As for my story, il keep it short. went to fish the pool this winter durning the polae vortex, crazy ice shelves. Well I went down on my own, didnt tell anyone and as I was walking along the shelf I happened to step on part of a shelf that consisted of shards of ice held together from the sleet. Well the second I stepped on it I fell right through. Luckily I landed on the one spot where the shore is not a drop off. I was walking with a stick tapping infront of me hoping to detect weak spots but I just wasnt careful enough. Needless to say I won't be taking risks like that any more. It scared some sense in to me.

Glad to hear you are ok and hope the stories here help to educatr people.

My wife and I have our iphones set up with an app called fins my iphone where she can go on a website, type in my account and password, and it locates me to the general vicinity.

After hearing this story, I am going to make sure she remembers the info

Sounds like shock. Same thing happened to me once when I was seventeen years old (42 now), carrying a 6 horse motor through the bush down a steep hill covered in slippery fall leaves (smart, right?) - feet went out and up in the air, landed flat on my butt and I felt the impact in the top of my head...saw stars. I still remember it to this day. I got cold and clammy, dizzy and passed out - my buddy told me it was only for 30 seconds or so. There was no impact to my head or any other part of my body, just the tailbone. Took a week before I felt right again. I never did seek medical attention but I can tell you my tailbone still hurts to this day after an extended period of sitting.

That being said, please get checked out to rule out any kind of spinal injury. All the best.

Glad your okay, but like suggested get checked out anyway and explain what happened to your doctor. Btw...happy birthday!!

Glad your alright! Thanks for reminding all of us on important safety tips. I personally don't like to fish alone although I do from time to time. But I always let my wife know where I'm going unless she thinks I'm going to work, lol. Then I tell my brother or try to talk him into skipping work with me!

Archived