When Fishing For Walleye

Callykid

Just got into fishing for eyes this year and have learned alot .... however I have one question. All year so far I've been fishing walleye with 4-6 ft. flourocarban leads which makes it difficult to land fish when using a worm harness. I look at the worm harnesses which are made out of mono and ask why use flouro....I understand that flouro is more durable and mono is cheaper for the manufacturer.

Just wondering what everyone else is using.

When I use a 7' rod I use a 3' lead ....no prob. netting a fish . If using a longer rod , the lead can be increased . I use both mono and flouro and find the flouro will stand up longer to the rocky mussel infested rocks & other bottom debris . The mono gets nicked more often which leads to changing rigs & re-stringing the used rigs at home. I bought some 15# P-line flouro carbon for harnesses and it works very well .You may want to go with lighter flouro if your gear is light . I bought a 10'6" rod from Drifter & will make up some longer leads to try for eyes in a few days ......The rod is awesome !

I don't think it matters that much using mono vs floro but I use seagram abrasion x floro seems all right.i also run 8-10 ft leaders and stopped using my net and got a gaff once the dipsey hits the rod tip I hand bomb them in way easer when im by myself to just slip the gaff under the gill plate .still use the net on the big hogs thou :bb2:

Archived