Had A Great Day

shortys

I've always wanted to target carp but never have. I watched a few vidios on rigs and press baits. I didn't have all the ingredients for any one kind of press bait so I made my own. It worked fantastic. I used about 3 cups of flour, 6 packs of cream of wheat, 4 packs of maple brown sugar instant oatmeal (didn't have any reg oatmeal) and a can of cream corn. The bait had enough corn in it that I put three chunks on my hook and then pressed the bait on.

It took awhile for the first bite but the more I put the bait in the same spot the more often they were hitting. Towards 4 hours in I was getting hits every 10 seconds. Altogether I caught 17 fish 2 were nice size cats. Now I have to get a nice net. I had 2 over 15 pounds and my hook was all bent.

What a great day! Can't wait to go out again. Next time I'm bringing the camera.

If it wasn't for this forum and all the guys hints and tips. I would never have done so well.

Thank you all very much:-)

Jeff

I've always wanted to target carp but never have. I watched a few vidios on rigs and press baits. I didn't have all the ingredients for any one kind of press bait so I made my own. It worked fantastic. I used about 3 cups of flour, 6 packs of cream of wheat, 4 packs of maple brown sugar instant oatmeal (didn't have any reg oatmeal) and a can of cream corn. The bait had enough corn in it that I put three chunks on my hook and then pressed the bait on.

It took awhile for the first bite but the more I put the bait in the same spot the more often they were hitting. Towards 4 hours in I was getting hits every 10 seconds. Altogether I caught 17 fish 2 were nice size cats. Now I have to get a nice net. I had 2 over 15 pounds and my hook was all bent.

What a great day! Can't wait to go out again. Next time I'm bringing the camera.

If it wasn't for this forum and all the guys hints and tips. I would never have done so well.

Thank you all very much:-)

Jeff

Good going those carp and cats are fun to catch sound like you found a good recipe that works on both carp and cats sometimes it pay to play around and find your own bate that

works for you right it down and put it on the shelf and keep mixing things together and see what else you can come up with

Now , you are getting me worked up ...I have been eyeballing my carp rod lately and getting the itch . I made a hollow punch thingy for punching out 1/2" pieces of flattened white bread for a hair rig . I will try some cream corn for chum .....mix in some oats until it's thick enough to form balls about 2" wide and when tossed into the water , will easily break apart and chum the bottom . The juice (cream) in the corn should permeate the water with lots of corn scent to get their attention and hopefully their patronage for my offerings . I'll also have regular canned corn handy if they don't fancy my dollar store bread balls . This will be another test bait for me .....always trying to outwit cagey beasts . Way to go Jeff , nice to see you had a great day and your bait formula paid off ! >oo000> :Gonefishing:

I went out yesterday. I forgot my camera. I fished for about 3 hours. I finally got one over 20 pounds! What a fight:-) I bought a net thank goodness. I only used the corn on the hook and press bait with the garlic powdered mash potatoes. First bite took 15 min. I went six for six within the first hour. Three carp over 9 to 13 pounds and three kitty under 4 pounds. I just cast over the same spot and reel in to the same area so I wouldn't scare the fish. The last hour. I was getting nibbles every 10 sec. Some I would miss. some I got. There was enough chum around so I started just putting corn on the line and wouldn't you know it. Boom monster on! I set the hook and she took off. After 40 or so sec of tightening my drag and reeling the hook let go. Nooooo. I reeled it in and my hook was broken. Now I going crazy. Retie and corn on. Same spot. 20 sec latter boom! I fight a good size. I net her. She just fits in the net. I pick her up she way heavier than I thought. It felt to me to be over 20 pounds but to be fair I had no scale. I say around 20. My dad stopped fishing worms and went to corn. Hehe

I think I caught 10 carp 8 cats. Lots of nibbles then nothing. What an exciting day!

I just finished tieing ten or so hooks rigged with a slip sinker.

Talk about addicted :-)

Next time I'll bring the camera. If I remember.

I'm going tomorrow and I'm bringing the camera. If I forget my buddy has his cell phone. I want to catch the big one I lost and there was a nice orange one I'd like to catch.

I wonder if the shallowness of the pond is why their hitting. I think its because the pond hasn't been fished in a few years. I'm going to try a different spot on Monday and see if I get the same results.

Now I have to read how to post pics.

Just got back from an alright day. To many catfish. Only three carp for three hours. Lost count of kitty fish after 20 or so. I had two monsters on and lost them. I think I'm going to use some bigger hooks. I'm using #6 and #7. I took two pics of fish but number three was just the same size as the others. Now to get the pics off camera and on to wife's computer. I'll post them asap. id did something wrong with this pic.

410031241.jpgt-410031287.jpg

I'm going tomorrow I want those big ones.

What were you using for bait?

We were using corn with a press bait. Just got back from carpin. Got two nice ones. One on corn and press bait other on worm. Again the catfish to many to handle. We caught well over 40 between the two of us. Only two carp. Still a great day.

Nice going ! I was thinking about going to Jordan for a few hours in the morning ......need to raid the $1.25 Store & get some corn & white bread . I made a punch I want to try on the flat bread ......hope the gobies don't take a liking to it , or just use corn .

....ahah.....I should clarify , the punch is non alcoholic .....it's made of plastic :) . I punched out some bread last night :rolleyes: & gave it a test in the laundry tub & the bread held together nicely after being in the water for an hour . .....I rigged the flattened bread on the hair & directly on a larger hook . Maybe try spraying the bread lightly with some hot sauce to enhance the aroma ....Carp , beware ...... :ninja: !

40 carp???? Holy moly man, you dont have to answer me but where the hell were you? Ive been hunting and baiting spots, although i may have foubd a spot last night. Not sure if the cats were hiting or carp.

I wish 40 carp. They were catfish and only two carp.

I went today and only caught catfish. Still 20 plus catfish is a busy day. I can't tell ya where. my dad would be pissed if people started showing up to his pond. Sorry

Well , the smerch went carp fishing today . Bought me some oats , cream corn , reg. can corn & headed to Jordan . I was greeted by a huge mess ....garbage everywhere . As I prepared to mix the oats with the cream corn (wet mix) , I saw a big shadow passing 3' from shore .....a big salmon cruising by to say hello . I tossed a few meat ball size "sloppy oat/corn" balls to the spot I fish while rigging the can corn on the hair rig . ( forgot to take bread to try ....age thing ! :wacko: Nothing happening ! An hour later I went to the bridge ....quite a current from the lake which was blowing up a good surf . I tossed my line in ....a little too close .....reeled in only to find the line & bait loaded with algae .....put on a heavier egg sinker ....helped a bit but again loaded up with it & hard to remove quickly ......

SAM_5045.JPG

this guy must have got wet fishing on the north side of the bridge .....waves were pounding the rocks

SAM_5043.JPG

this duck is a large one & was diving constantly ,staying under for 30 seconds each trip . I think it is some kind of merganser but doesn't have a hooked bill .

SAM_5040.JPG

and a shot of the beautiful landscape ! I gathered up a big ball of line & found a good 2 gal.plastic pail to take out other goodies .....this is a small fraction of the trash .

SAM_5046.JPG

Final tally for the 3 hr. carp assassination .....zero 4 zero ......but no skunk for smercho ......While doing a check on the bait I felt a little resistance and yelled "FISH ON"....no body to man the net !! I had to go solo & landed this beauty ......I guess the corn mash got it's attention ....

SAM_5048.JPG

I'm sorry smerch. The pictures are great. That mess of garbage is something else.

Its funny why is it that we clean up garbage and there is always more the next time? I have to take pictures of our next trip even if we don't catch any carp. How many pics of the same size catfish do you want to see? Monday I'm trying a new spot. Any money says I get skunked:-) I hope not. I keep thinking I'm doing something right.

Sad sight is that garbage, seems like no matter how much effort is put into clean ups those slobs show up and dump their garbage. Born in a dump, raised by trash...and treat their surroundings like the pigs they are.

Well , I'll be darned !! Thanks Dave , it never crossed my mind that bird was a loon ....first time ever seeing one around here , or I never thought to think it may be a loon . It was behaving exactly like a loon , diving constantly for about 30 seconds each time . I'm sure it got a full belly in there as I saw lots of large lake minnows breaking water .

Here's a look alike shot I got from Google Images .......

Red-throated%2BLoon%2C%2Bjuvenile%2B%28B

• 3 weeks later...

I was fishing Jordan Harbour about a week ago and I seen a massive salmon cruising the shoreline aswell. Close enough to net it, fins sticking out of the shallow water! She didn't even bother with my lure !

I have never caught a nice carp in any other months than May and June, am I missing out on prime time carp fishing?

I found a new spot to try for carp at Martindale Pond . To my surprise it was very deep about 20' from shore ....at least 15 feet deep . There are some weeds near shore, then it drops off fast to 15' feet or more . I chummed it & gave it about 2 hours .....no takers . Now I'm thinking the carp are in shallow water as it cools off . I've been looking for them but haven't been able to find where they are feeding . Maybe they are there , but not on the feed yet ......

Archived